Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just met Roscoe Beck

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by whitedk57, Oct 22, 2005.

1. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I attended a concert/workshop at the local music store with Roscoe Beck and Greg Koch. I got to meet Roscoe beforehand, and then I watched them play.

He's OK... (Please note the sarcasm :bassist: )

I like it when they're nice in person too. :)

2. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    Hey Man ,

I had the great pleasure of meeting him at the James Burton foundation guitar show in August . He and Greg played along with a fantastic Female drummer whoes name escapes me , but he was a very cool guy and I even got a photo with him .

Yeah it is nice when they are cool :)

Pete

3. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    I agree, it's nice when they're cool. I had my illusions killed when I met Stanley Clarke. He was an *******. I saw the band Vertu, and everybody was on edge to to him.

I'm glad Roscoe can be put on the cool list ;)

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You're the first person I ever heard of who said Stanley was an *******.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I never met Stanley Clarke, but I think you have to give famous people the benefit of doubt. They meet tons of people and they have bad days just anyone else. It's just that if they are crabby, they leave a lasting impression on a (former) fan.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I'm not famous or even talented......but I'm a ******* :cool:

7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    was this clinic at Grandma's?

8. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    I don't want to sidetrack the discussion, but I've thought about it for a Long time. I used to be a researcher so I'll comment from an analytical perspective..

I met Stanley backstage at a Vertu concert about 2 or 3 years ago. My friend was a photographer and a journalist scheduled to interview him. We showed up early at the sound check and the mood was grim. I watched Stanley rip apart everyone on the stage. The only person he didn't insult and patronize was Lenny White. Lenny just sat there looking across the stage. Then he was informed by his road tech that the double bass would be late arriving for soundcheck, boy, did he jump on that guy's ****. Stan's a big dude.... it was an hour and a half of shock for me, and he was my hero.

I met him backstage and he was chilled, although I suspect it would be different if we worked FOR him. As Stan said to one guy "less talk, more action." He scared the **** out of everbody....PERIOD.

I then spoke to another famous bassist from philly and asked him "what's up with Stan?" I told him what I saw and he said; "Yeah, everytime i meet that guy, he acts like he's got the weight of the world on him. He's not a happy camper.."

A year later, he was doing a week long residency. I went along again
    figuring, maybe what I saw was a fluke, and he was having a bad day or something. I was at the club, from 12 noon til 10:30 pm. I saw Stanley dis several fans that had been waiting outside before I showed up for an autograph. My wife said showed up later, and told me she saw him be a miserable b*stard to some other guys outside.

Now I'm not going to mention everything that happened, but I came to the following conclusion...

If any of the musicians know about the reputation of Van Morrison, you'll know what I mean. I think Stan is still around because he is a businessman, and that has shaped his mindset. He's been on top awhile and seen it all.

You non pro cats need to remember that there is an unspoken code about talking about other guys in the press. There are things that can't be said publicly. It could be career suicide...

:bag:

9. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    I'll always respect him, but he is all business. When you've been famous that long, I don't think the world looks the same as it does to other folks. He's won every accolade a bassist could want. what's left?

I was very dissapointed. He was cordial to me, in a cool kinda way, but I just stood against the back of the club's wall and watched.

It's not good to meet your heroes on occassion, that much I learned.

:meh:

10. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    Yeah. Have you been there?

11. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Please forgive Stanley. He has yet to recover from the Jaco thing in 1975.

12. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Crap, I missed this and I had actually circled it on my calendar. I wanted him to sign my bass.

Damned girls, with their wily ways...I was...uh...distracted.

13. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yep, years ago... it was larger that life then... wonder how it is now.

14. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    It's the coolest music store I've been in, but that's not saying much. They built a new store by Coors and Paseo - I never visited the old store.

15. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Larger than it was before.

Yea the new store is very nice. The old store(s) were leased spaces. Like whitedk57 said the new store was built by them on the west side, on Coors just north of Paseo del Norte. They must have been doing something right, nice new building, and it's full of stuff.

16. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

Cool, that is very good to hear!

17. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    What did they wind up playing/demonstrating? Did Roscoe bust out the syncopated two-handed organ simulation?

18. Well, this "non-pro" isn't looking to get famous, so if a guy's a jerk, (for lack of a printable word), to fans, (who are the ones who keep him there...), then that's the response he's gonna get! :scowl:

19. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    I've seen the "demeanor" before. Usually in people with money or fame.
    It was kinda sad to see it. I guess I learned don't put anyone on a pedestal... Although I swear Billy Sheehan is the nicest bassist anyone will ever meet. I like Jack Bruce, but he's DEFINITELY a rock star. ;)

I've only seen Roscoe in his video... I guess he's a god player, going on what you cats say.

A question for you guys.. Has anyone played his signature bass? What is your opinion if you did?

Thanks,

D.

20. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    oops.... I mean "good" player. :bag: