Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

..Just moaning about my band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by yoshi, Feb 16, 2003.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi, I'm posting about the attitudes of my band members concerning practices.

Just lately, weve had few pratices were weve either A)had a full tunout B) had a turnout at all.

The place where we most regularly practice at is my (and the guitarits, were twins) house. On a number of occasions the other guitarist and singer just havnt shown up, not even a call saying why.

Also, we recently organised a practice at the guitarists house, and i walked down there after my lesosns at college, to find that only he was there (my brother had been but no one answered). the singer also didnt bother, until we rang him 45 minutes after the start, and he was at his house with his girlfreind. He then later started making jokes about about the guitaris not showing up to practices.

Anotehr thing is, this saturday we had organised to practice at the local community center, then on the friday they rung me sayig it wasnt available so
    I said 'OK, when is it next' and took down the details. However, when I told the singer (which I was dreading) he had a cry at me for not sorting it our proerly and stuff, and has stated that Im too unreliable to sort out practices and that he'll do them in the future....

Whats worse, is that at practices we get little done, eg it took us over an hour to go through aces high, when myself and anotehr guitaris got it on the first trun (i plaued the bassline and he followed). Then once we had that, it turned out the singer hadnt learned the words and refuses to cover that song :/

I just got an email saying that if we dont get any progress done before the end of the month the guitarist and singer will bail out.

Would it be wrong of me to point the finger of the downward spiral at the singer?

ARRRGH! Just thought I'd have a whine...:bawl::confused:

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Reliability is the essence of a professional attitude. It sounds like certain other members of the band are lacking that - learn the lesson from the results of their behaviour and, whatever happens, maintain your professionalism and integrity. Even if the short term situation turns out to be going nowhere, that will make you invaluable on gigs in the long run.

BTW, do you have a drummer? You didn't mention one in your message (kinda odd, since they normally get the blame ;) ).

Wulf

3. I could be wrong here, but it sounds to me like the other guitarist and singer are trying to leave the band. I mean they don't show for practice, and then blame you for being "irresponsible," it's almost like they're trying to either tick you off so much that you guys leave the band (or kick them out), or else if that doesn't work they can fall back on the threat to leave and seal the deal. Without knowing more than what you wrote, does that sound far off or would these guys pull something like that do you think? Also, how does the drummer fit into all of this? just curious.

4. I agree that the singer and guitarist seem to want to leave anyway. Professional courtesy and reliability are as important as talent when trying to keep a group together, if these two are not being co-operative find some one who is. They may be doing you a favor in disguise.

Good luck, John

5. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Drummer stastus: We just got a new who will be at all of the following practices.
    -----
    :mad:
    Ah great, we just had a meeting, sorting out practice times. All was going fine, then we decided to book a hall for tuesday night, even though myself and one guitarist were going camping with about 10 other freinds.

As we rang, the hall was unavailable, but was OK for monday, so we booked it.

Shortly after, the singer said 'oh wait, Im staying at my girlfreinds house, I cant drop out', and refuses to drop it. Now Im having to frantically find a place to practice before the band falls apart - I guess it's true what they say about bassists: "theyre the glue of the band"...

..maybe its time I found a new band, what a pile of crap:bawl:

6. Amethska

Amethska

Jan 27, 2003
    NJ, USA
    Aw man, that sucks... From what you've said, it looks obvious your singer wants no part in this... but he stays to get you frustrated. Something like that...

I think it'll take less energy to find a new guitarist and singer than to try and keep these guys together....

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    If I were you I would do the following...

Talk the guitarist (brother one) and discuss booting out the baggage and take on more responsibilty.

Write songs together and rehearse together at home like mad. Learn to sing/shout/talk the words and share duties (either alternate songs or verse and chorus). If you are writing the stuff one can play simply whilst the other sings etc.

Recruit a drummer (you already have a prime candidate). Work out a day that is rehearsal day. If you have no location rehearse at your house and ask the drummer to use a stripped down kit (kick snare hihat covered in blankets) or percussion.
    You could even include the drummer in the songwriting process, hey he/she might be an amazing lyric writer.

Go and get some gigs and have fun.

Thats what I would do.

8. NiKo

NiKo

May 2, 2000
    MERANO (BZ) ITALY
    :mad:
    I´m vrry disappointed with the behaviour of your Group-Members .
    If they want to split they should only to say.
    I mean it is better that say " We don´t want to be more in the project " as to behave like suckers that can´t mantain a "date" for a practice, and so on.
    :oops:
    The Judge has sentenced: They are not serious musicians. You can sure find better ones. Put them on the way!:spit:
    You wont miss such unprofessional musicians.
    Keep on your dream.
    :bassist:

9. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Great advice thanks!

Since I made this thread, the singer left. The guitarist, singer and drummer have made a new band, and asked me to play bass (anyone see whats happening, they basically kicked my bro' out!).

Anyway, I think I'm going to decline the offer, and stick with my brothers cannibal corpse-esqe songs rather than stuff flike the haunted (bleugh). We know of another drummer, who offered to play, aswell as a college buddy who plays guitar.

Will do cheif ;)

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    ....seems like things are taking their own course.

my experience is that people who miss rehearsals, make their girlfriends priority, and do any of the kind of above mentioned stuff are gonna quit somewhere along the line anyhow. they're not musicians as far as i'm concerned, they're people who are playing or singing for some other reason than the love of music. i've been playing, gigging, and rehearsing over 20 yrs. and i don't think i've ever missed a rehearsal (maybe had to reschedule for some reason but never didn't show up), and only missed (walked out) on one gig. i was terribly justified though and it was no loss to anyone.

if you love music and you're serious about it i'd suggest getting as many things going as you can until you know you've settled with the right people. music isn't like marriage in that you don't have to be monogomous. you can audition for different bands, play with different drummers, write with different friends. hopefully sooner or later you'll find bonds that you know are right. it's also great for growing as a musician, making contacts, networking, etc.

that's my take on da whole thing and i just wanna put this thing here :bassist: to be annoying because people are complaining about it's over ussage :spit: :D . :bassist:

11. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    You are welcome