1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just moved to Lansing Mi

Discussion in 'Social Events and Get Togethers [BG]' started by no1likesme, Aug 29, 2008.

1. no1likesme

no1likesme

Dec 26, 2006
    Shepherd, MI
    How's it going?

I moved to Lansing Michigan about 3 weeks ago and have been looking for a band to play with (without any luck) I am really not picky as far as genre (not a fan of country) I am just trying to get into the local music scene. If anyone knows of a band in lansing that is looking for a bassist Please let me know.

Otherwise I am just looking to meet some musicians in the area. If anyone would like to meet up/hang out, pm me here or e-mail me at no1likesme AT gmail DOT com

Thanks

Ron

2. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Hey man there is plenty to do in lansing. I play with Frog and the Beeftones on Thursdays at the Unicorn. I usually play second set, but sometimes I run the show on bass too.

Also there is an open mic at 621 Club on Monday nights 8pm - 12pm. I'm the house bass player there, and there are always bands looking for bass players there. Big range of genre's too.

Come on out to any of those, and I'll get you all setup.

3. Shelly

Shelly

Jul 12, 2006
    Brighton, Michigan
    Hey Joel,

I heard from some of my Soulstice bandmates (Keith Minaya, etc.) about 621...I didn't know you played there! I may have to venture down one Monday night.

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I used to live in Okemos. :)

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    One thing I would suggest is that you check out Elderly Music on Washington. While mostly a guitar shop (one of the best acoustic stores in the world-the largest Martin dealer). They do carry Sadowsky basses, stock some cool effects, and are probably pretty in tune to the local scene.

6. I used to live in Lansing... what made you move THERE? :confused:
    I know Marshall Music, Music Manor, and Elderlies used to have boards by the front doors where you could hang an ad (make sure you date them)
    Good Luck man... My cousin has a band in Lansing called Carpal Tunnel... check 'em out and tell him Nick sent ya :)

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    +1 on Elderly's. I was in grad school at MSU from the 1985-1992, and I loved that store. Unless it has changed, their bass selection is actually quite. Afterall, how many dealers actually stock Sadowsky at all? I just ordered a MTD Kingston from them on Tuesday and got it on Thursday perfectly packed with a warning not to open too soon to avoid damaging the finish! The shipping was only $20!:hyper:

8. I know my friend Jen Sygit hosts an open mic at the Dagwood Tavern on Tuesdays. I've never been there, but I would guess the musicians lean more towards the acoustic side, considering Jen is part of the folk scene down there.

9. Okemos has one of the best Chinese restaurants I've ever eaten at. I can't recall the name of it but it was good. As far as bands go, I can't help you there. It's been years since I've actually done anything in Lansing other than go to a football, basketball, or hockey game.

BTW, GO SPARTANS!!! BEAT MICHIGAN!!!

10. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    There was a Thai restaurant in Lansing that was just wonderful. Really good food (HOT HOT HOT). Loved that place. We do miss Meijers and the ability to buy groceries, car tires, etc. at 1 am. :)

11. I lived there for a while.

Elderly is great. Mac's has good shows and a great juke box. Michigan State has pretty girls. Altu's is a fantastic Ethiopian restaurant on Michigan just over the line in East Lansing.

That's all I got.