1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just moved to Tucson, anyone here?

Discussion in 'Social Events and Get Togethers [BG]' started by lowendmafia, Apr 8, 2009.

1. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    So I just moved to Tucson, Az and I don't really know to many people here, anyone local that can give me the skinny out here?

Thanks

2. WyrmDL

WyrmDL

Feb 15, 2008
    I live in Tucson (well, Vail now).

...but....I'd say I'm a newbie at bass and a complete newbie in the music business, sorry :/

welcome though :]

3. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    YO! i go to school here at UofA/PCC. dude, terrible choice as far as music scene. umm, for setups and custom work and repair my friend gabe has his store on First ave and Ft. Lowell Gabriels Guitars. he as some stuff for sale (2 warriors!) but his selection is relatively small. if you wanted to get selection, Rainbow Music on Campbell and Glenn?. they have a great selection of basses and cool pedals. theres also a Guitar Center east on Broadway im not sure of its exact location.

FOR FOOD! tucson seemingly doesnt have very good food, but these are the true greats. for 24 hr mexican Nico's Taco's is by far the best. Los Betos is very hit or miss and can be very dirty. We have an In and Out Berger here which is cool. for Indian food, Ghandi's on Grant and stone is phenomenal, the muligitani very hot is awesome! Wings over Broadway which is east on broadway has some really good chicken wings, they have so many different good types of wings (deep fried garlic butter is (.)(.)). Lucky Wishbone is the best local tucson food ive found bar none, the moment you walk in your hit with this aroma of deep fried crazyness and all the food basically tastes similar to that insane smell. also theres a tent on the side of the road on Stone that serves Sonoran Hotdogs, these are hotdogs stuffed with southwest stuff in this pocket thing, its really awesome. bisonwitches on 4th ave has a great 1/2 sandwitch and soup in a breadbowl (the best soup is to ask for a mix of the cheese and the chili). the best pizza id say is 1402 on cherry and speedway, the slices are huuge and really good, and they have a great beer selection. the vietnamiese place Miss Saigon just up the block from there at speedway and campbell is also excellent for there huge soup bowls.

for booze, DONT GO ANYWHERE ELSE BUT TOTAL WINE. its like a supermarket, but for alcohol, its a sight to be seen. and every friday they have free wine tasting!

if you need to know anything just ask ive been here for 3 years now

4. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    Need some lessons? ;)

Thanks man, I love the change from sub 20 degree temperatures to this!

5. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    for music gigs, your best bet is probably craigslist, which is extremely limited. every once in a while you see something decent pop up. its very important in this town to have your own amp and car.
    and yes, today was really really nice

6. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    Yeah, I didn't move here for music, I am going to grad school at UofA. I used to live in Sierra Vista because the Army said I had to, so I am relatively familiar with Tucson. I am out on the East side past Park Place so I am a little out of the way.

Thanks

7. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    you are a dog trainer???? in NYC i work at a doggy daycare/kennel/boarding/grooming place for 3 years and i am in need of a job here so im just throwing that out there. let me know i can get you refrences and im 20 soon to be 21.

8. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    I own a hunting dog training business in Idaho with my dad, but I am taking some time off to go to grad school down here. I just have one dog at the moment (16 year old lab female), so I am not training at the moment.

9. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    no worries, that really awesome that your buisness is dogs. enjoy your stay in tucson now! its just now starting to get real nice weather so im sure youll be outside alot.

10. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    How could this town get any better? I have been all over the country and this is my second stop here in Tucson. I absolutely love it here.

11. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    I'll be visiting Tucson May 11-13 helping the musicians of the Tucson Symphony re-establish an AFM Local union there.

Wally

12. Welcome to my old home town (go Cats!) and still one of my favorite places on the planet. I'm 15-years-removed from the music scene, but I keep in touch with enough folks to know that it's far from dead. And for food...oh man! For me, it begins and ends with Luke's. Alvernon, just north of 29th.

Good luck to you with grad school. The campus has certainly changed since I got my bachelor's back in 1989. And...the Vista. My Dad is a retired 1SG and I spent a total of seven years there growing up. Beautiful spot.

I'll be back for a visit in the next coupla' months, and am looking forward to at least a couple of days in Tucson. Enjoy!

13. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    Don't forget about EEGEES frozen lemonade and sandwiches!!

Santa Rita HS, class of '79!!!

KT