Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just my stupid luck! (UPS Job Offer)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cassanova, Mar 21, 2005.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I applied for a Job at UPS sometime last month as a package handler. I interviewed with them about 2 weeks ago. Today around 11 am I get a phone call from Mario at UPS and was offered a position with the company but for a different shift. I applied for the 6pm-10pm shift, he offered me the 4am-8:30/9am one.

I had to decline the position due to my college hours. I have classes from 8am-9:15am on Tues, Wed, Thurs, and Friday. I listed my hours of availability on the aplication and even explained them to him on the telephone before being offered the interview.

He asked me if I could rearange my schedule to fit around theirs, I explained to him how I can't do that, but next semester I'd be more than happy to shedule my courses around the work shedule. I then asked him if I could leave at 7:30/7:45ish. His answer was no. I was then told, "we want someone who is going to be flexable."

Like this is somehow my fault that I can't make it in for a shift that goes against the hours I told them I could do. They knew full well what hours I could keep.

It really irks the crap out of me because I need a job really badly, I'm finally offered one, and a good one at that, $8.50 per hour to start, 50 cent bump after 90 days, full medical, dental, vision, insurance, and 401 k, for part timers. and I have to shoot it down.. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I can't get over how anal places are. They know your hours, interview you knowing these hours, then offer you a totally different shift and give you a line about flexability and how you're making a huge mistake by passing up this opportunity!

I do actually feel like a just blew a huge opportunity too.

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I just got a call this morning from Subway... I go in for an interview at 2...

Sucks for you.... works for me.

:p

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    !!!!

Work at subway!

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    What's more important at this point, school or a job?

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    +1.

I would have asked him why he bothered to ask when I was available.

School is far better than 9$ an hour.

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    You'll have to fill us in on all the gross things that happen there.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Which will most likely increase in number once Mike starts working.

brad cook

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    They're both almost equally important to me, I am in a huge financial bind and in desperate need of income, but obviously my education is higher on the priority ladder. Its actually my biggest priority, everything else in my life is based around that. I refuse to give an inch of ground and compromise when it comes to it as well. Reson being is I'll earn more in my first year after graduation as an RN in my than I probably ever would in 5 years at UPS or any other job in my area.

I did ask that. He replied with. "You said you were flexable, easy to work with, and how I showed a genuine intrest in wanting to work for UPS. But perhaps I was mistaken."

9. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

hang in there !!
    the good part of this whole deal is at least you know somebody is looking at your applications ...
    too bad UPS didn't realize they could have had a quality person working for them .

something good will come out of this ... keep your spirits up !!

10. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Haha. Working at UPS: been there, done that. It really is a great job to have. I don't regret working there, great pay and great oppurtunities. It is odd that they would ask you to work a different shift though. I'd say reapply and hope for the best. I got promoted after 8 months, and it was the best decision I ever made.

~Patrick

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Thats how I am trying to look at it. I've got to keep a positive spin on things. I figure, they were willing to hire me, so someone else is bound too as well.

I told him to keep me in mind should any other positions or shifts that'll work around my schedule open up.

I agree with you about it being a great job. It's the only company that I've ever interviewed with that actually gives part-timers any benefits.

I'll repply after 30 days from now.

12. I've been there 6 years, and the benefits are aswome. I don't know what that guy who talked to you was smoking. Why do you need to be flexible for? There are only two shifts. Now granted the early shift he offered you. You will have a chance to make more money and better starting pay. There is more hours involved in that shift. But its a lot harder than the afternoon one..That one is Disney world compared to the other. The other will feel like an aenema filled with Tabasco at first but youll get used to and it won't be so bad. But keep re-applying, there always people that quit.

13. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    There is no question of that.

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Don't touch the third rail.

15. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    I remember when I lost a job and applied for unemployment, I was asked if I was in school. I said yes - night classes.

I was then asked to drop those so my availability for work would be better. :eyebrow:

Now that's unreasonable. I can't believe there's people out there who want you to abandon your education for them.