1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

just need some help with picking a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Masterquack, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Masterquack

Masterquack

Jul 15, 2007
    hello, i am fairly new to talkbass so i am sorry if i make any mistakes.

recently i have begun saving up for a fretless bass and although i would love to buy a erniball musicman Bongo bass (my dream bass) it is way out of my price range (ill buy it when im old enough to get a job). so ive narrowed it down to three basses and i need some help picking (also if you know which of these are available without fretlines i would apricate that)

Fender Fretless Jazz bass (my problem with this bass is it seems only to go up to the equivilant of 20 fretts{im a 24 fret guy})

Erni-ball fretless stingray (i tried this in a store,and i didnt like the feel of it when i tried to play fingerstye {although maby the action was to low :meh: })

and finally Yamaha BB614 fretless (i cant try this bass so i have no idea what it is like)

thank you for the help and again i apoligise for mistakes

2. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    The Yamaha BB614 is a great bass. I have played the fretted version before and it is solid and sweet. The EQ is very nice for a mid-range bass.

When you do snag a fretless try using LaBella Deep Talkin' strings. I just got a set of those flats for my P-bass and they have a really nice feel and tone.

3. 88persuader

88persuader

Aug 5, 2007
    I can't help in regard to which to get but if you want NO fretlines stay away from the Fender. I THINK currently Fender only sell fretless basses WITH fretlines. It wasn't always this way but i think that's how it is right now. And if I'm wrong I'm sure someone on the forum will correct me. You never mentioned ... what's your budget?

4. Masterquack

Masterquack

Jul 15, 2007
    my budget is about 1000 AUD (something like 1100 USD)give or take a couple of hundred
    but all these bass fit into that (except my dream bongo)

5. ROGI

ROGI

Apr 25, 2005
    Croatia, Europe
    yamaha TRB fretless?

6. Masterquack

Masterquack

Jul 15, 2007
    are you sugesting that bass?

7. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Save man, the bongo is amazing, Im gassing for a fretless and a 6er!

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I personally would o with the stingray.
    I don't like the bongo bass at all.
    A ftetless precision may also a nice idea...
    Try loads and get what you like!!