Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just noticed something about that Rage Against the Machine dude.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    He is really out of tune on his fretless playing on Darkness, off the Crow soundtrack. Veers pretty sharp most of the time. Ouch! Was this just a quickie recording, where they didn't pay much attention to such things, or were they just going for vibe over in-tune-ness?

Great song, though. Songs like that make me miss RATM. (the Battle of Los Angeles notwithstanding)

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Maybe YOU are out of tune :p

I don't know, a lot of times recordings, when played back, sound out of tune, but usually they sound too flat.

could be a quickie recording, but it's also likely he just didn't care :D

3. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Feh! I am NEVER out of tune!:D

Timmy is out of tune with the Tom, though. I wasn't even playing along, and I noticed it. I know alot of recordings are off - Miles Davis Kind of Blue has been almost a half step flat for years! They just fixed it last year or so.

4. but on KOB, at least everyone was in tune with EACH OTHER.

5. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Very true! Timmy's got a great tone, and some great lines, but perhaps he should leave the fretless alone until he get's a chance to practice it some more.

6. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    That he is now more black than Zach deLaRocha (thanks to his tattoos)?

7. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I think the reason the recording went flat had something to do with the analog tape it was originally recorded on.

Well I couldnt say much about someone elses intonation given my own imperfections on upright. Im working on it...

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Tim is known for alternate tunnings.

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Move to recordings

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I suppose being out of tune could be considered an alternate tuning. :confused:

The only alternate tunings Tim is known for are Dropped D and BEAD... putting 5 string strings on his 4 and leaving off the G.

11. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Or perhaps he was playing in some 38 note micro-tonal scale, and I was just too dumb to notice.

12. Sounds like my fretless playing.......!

:p

13. I noticed something similar on the "Trilogy" DVD by The Cure - in quite a few songs the bass sounds like it's not in tune with the other instruments (it's very obvious in the intro to "Strange Day", where there's only drums, bass and keyboards).

14. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Did their bass player use lots of chorus on those songs like he sometimes does? That might be the reason.

15. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I agree, seems pretty full of himself. Though I love his style, think he is hell of a player, just don't think I would ever care to meet the guy.

16. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I dont think it was him since he plays his Up-right more than his Electric. Unless he just started or barely practices, I dont think he would have a problem on a fretless. I dont know though.....just what I thought :)

17. Nah, I don't think so - otherwise his bass would always sound out of tune, not only in this particular recording.

Viele Gruesse nach Hause,

volker :)