just now switching to fingers....

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by pestilence, May 23, 2005.

1. pestilence

Feb 4, 2004
    ok so i play in a melodic death metal band and we play pretty freakin fast and ive been using a pick for like 4 years now and everyones on me to use my fingers but im so uncoordinated with them and i miss strings and go incredibly slow, does anyone have any advice or maybe some riffs to practice, i dont know im desperate here
  2. bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Keep using a pick as well, but daily work on playing slowly at first. You're learning a new technique, so you need to practice it slowly at first, then speed up as you get where you can play perfectly at the current speed. It won't come over night, and you didn't play that fast and accurately with a pick the first days of your learning either. Be patient, there's no quick path.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Just play scales slowly at first, then gradually build speed. Also practice doing 16th notes on one string at a time for a few minutes, and then practice 16th notes while switching strings. Do it to a metronome slowly at first and gradually build up speed. It's important to practice everything at a tempo you can handle and get it down cold at that tempo before you try to move on.