just now switching to fingers....

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by pestilence, May 23, 2005.

1. pestilence

Feb 4, 2004
    ok so i play in a melodic death metal band and we play pretty freakin fast and ive been using a pick for like 4 years now and everyones on me to use my fingers but im so uncoordinated with them and i miss strings and go incredibly slow, does anyone have any advice or maybe some riffs to practice, i dont know im desperate here

I'm really lucky I get to post here, since I don't know how to express myself like an adult. If the moderator has to edit my posts anymore, I won't be posting here again....
  2. I don't know that there's anything that can really be done to improve speed except to play everything you currently play, but with fingers, assuming your technique is proper. I've always played primarily with my fingers, so I find them fast and comfortable while a pick is unwieldy.

I wouldn't think of using fingers as changing your style so much as gaining a new tool. As for riffs and such, I like a lot of ratm: bombtrack, mic check, etc. and even stuff like videogame music (the super mario bros. underground theme is teh leet :meh: :bassist: ) but you'd probably have luck with whatever you like to listen to.
  3. Practice practice practice. Practice switching strings with your fingers, practice playing as fast as you can. Practice your scales, practice putting things in the right forums, practice practice practice.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Dude... if you want to use a pick, then keep using a pick!!

But OK, if peer pressure is making life that difficult for you, then practice with your fingers... but use fingerstyle *in addition* to pickstyle, not *instead of*. :)
  5. +1
    why do people say you should play with your fingers? it's great to expand you playin styles to include finger playing but you shouldnt feel you don't have a choice. If you want to improve finger playing here is a simple exercise

G| |---------------------------------x-x-x-x-|
    A| |-----------------x-x-x-x-----------------|
    B| |-x-x-x-x---------------------------------|

G|-------------------------| |
    A|---------x-x-x-x---------| |
    B|-------------------------| |

just keep repeating that and gradually improve your speed
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Ya know, a comment like this should get the thread deleted, with no help for you.

Since I am in a charitable mood today, I am moving the thread to the correct forum. We do have rules here.:mad:

Also adding a rules violation to your record, since you made it blatantly obvious that you knew you were breaking the rules.

Continue to break them, and you will be banned. Which would be a shame, considering how much information there is to share at this site.

7. user notes? is their anyway we can view our own i didnt even know these things exsited?
  8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    No. They're for Moderator use only.