1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just One Buzz!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by I.M. Noone, Oct 7, 2005.

1. I.M. Noone

I.M. Noone

Oct 7, 2005
    Hey all, my mid-'70s Ibanez Les Paul Custom lawsuit bass is everything I want in a bass *except* that it's recently started buzzing on ONE fret on the whole board and I'm about to lose it. When fretting a Bflat on the E string, the string doesn't quite clear the fifth fret and buzzes pretty badly. I tightened the truss rod and it seemed to help a little, but it's still there. These are pretty heavy strings, might going to a lighter gauge E string help? Any tips are appreciated!

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I had the same problem with my Modulus Quantum 6 a couple of weeks ago--when I would fret an A on the E string, I would get a nasty buzz, to the point where you could hardly tell it was even a note.

I took it in to my local shop, thinking it was just a setup issue. The tech checked it over, and it ended up being in need of new strings. My E string had a little dent or notch right where it hit the fifth fret, causing it to go too far down and buzz off the sixth fret. So, a new set of strings fixed my problem.

This is, however, more of a Setup issue, so I am moving it to that forum.