Just One Buzz!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by I.M. Noone, Oct 7, 2005.

1. I.M. Noone

I.M. Noone

Oct 7, 2005
    Hey all, my mid-'70s Ibanez Les Paul Custom lawsuit bass is everything I want in a bass *except* that it's recently started buzzing on ONE fret on the whole board and I'm about to lose it. When fretting a Bflat on the E string, the string doesn't quite clear the fifth fret and buzzes pretty badly. I tightened the truss rod and it seemed to help a little, but it's still there. These are pretty heavy strings, might going to a lighter gauge E string help? Any tips are appreciated!
  2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I had the same problem with my Modulus Quantum 6 a couple of weeks ago--when I would fret an A on the E string, I would get a nasty buzz, to the point where you could hardly tell it was even a note.

I took it in to my local shop, thinking it was just a setup issue. The tech checked it over, and it ended up being in need of new strings. My E string had a little dent or notch right where it hit the fifth fret, causing it to go too far down and buzz off the sixth fret. So, a new set of strings fixed my problem.

This is, however, more of a Setup issue, so I am moving it to that forum.