Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just one little question on a slight buzz...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Minger, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Because I get just a bit of buzz on my E and A strings, I'm considering either raising the strings from the saddle or just loosening the truss rod slightly and then lower the strings...

The buzz is on the first 5ish frets...Nothin too bad but its just a little annoying because I practice at a lower volume...

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

If the strings are buzzing down low, it is most likely because you have too much tension in the trussrod and thus too little relief.

Raising the action via the saddles will get rid of the buzz, but it will probably also result in fairly high action as you progress up the neck.

You may want to consider properly setting the trussrod before adjusting the action.

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Yea, I think I'm just gonna give it 1/4 a turn to the left and then lower the strings...

Guess this means I'm going to have to do intonation again, which is a pain in teh butt when I don't really have a tuner (do it by ear) and I could plug my cable into my sound card like I always do but thats a little troublesome (never wants to read right!)

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Alrite, so just did somewhere like a little less than 1/4 a turn, i think...better safe than sorry...

So I should just wait a day and then retune it and check it out?