1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just one pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Don Sanders, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Don Sanders

Don Sanders

May 16, 2018
    Winnsboro TX
    I’m thinking about adding a pedal to my sound and I’ve never had one. If you could only have one pedal which one would it be or what would you recommend as a first pedal?
    Thanks for your input

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    If you're not talking about EQ or tuner pedals, I find an octave pedal to be of most use. Added judiciously to a few songs per night really makes an impact. My current favorite is the EHX POG.

cratz2, RumbleBot, MattZilla and 8 others like this.
  3. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
  4. Don Sanders

Don Sanders

May 16, 2018
    Winnsboro TX
    Thanks so much

5. ClusterFlux

ClusterFlux Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Zoom B1 Four.

It's a multi-effects pedal, which includes a tuner, compressors, preamps, amp sims, cab sims, chorus, flanger, delays, reverbs, looper, drum patterns... It's affordable as well.

Larchi, neuman, Wfrance3 and 17 others like this.
  6. Don Sanders

Don Sanders

May 16, 2018
    Winnsboro TX
    Thank you

7. Pulverizor

Pulverizor

Jun 14, 2018
    New Zealand
    METAL ZONE!

g-dude, XJ_Wheeler, hbabels and 7 others like this.
  8. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
  9. Chamber

Chamber Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2011
    California
  10. SLPimp

SLPimp Punk's not dead Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    My first bass pedal was a compressor. Boss. Since then I've tried just about all of them and settled on a Seymour Duncan Studio Bass.

I like the coloration of some comps, and others can act as clean boosts.

Currently, besides a Broughton HPF, a compressor is all thats on my board.

11. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    If I could choose only one, Empress ParaEq. Helps tame boomines.

12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    C4.
    If you only have 1 pedal it should be a compressor but they're not really any fun. C4 will make you grin. The octaves, envelopes and drives are all pretty good and you can go as nutso as you want or just add a little hair.
    Plus learning the app will keep you engaged and entertained for a long time.

DTRN, AudioTaper, landrybass and 5 others like this.
  13. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I will 2nd that! A multi-effects pedal is an EXCELLENT place to start! You can learn all about the world of effects while keeping yourself entertained for hours and hours.

14. marchone

marchone Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    Depends on what sounds you’re seeking.

Aside a Sadowsky preamp/DI, a PolyTune and an MXR Power Brick, I’m on an email list for a Broughton Audio Fliptop. But I’m partial to the 60’s Motown thump with flats.

Both of my basses are passive. See my sig line below.

15. My deserted island pick is my old Deluxe Memory Man. Delay, chorus, and vibrato on one unit.

Nick von Nick likes this.
  16. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    +1

The Zoom B1 Four and B1X Four are both tremendously cool... sound fantastic... and are an incredibly good value. Man, they did a great job replicating some of the great effects, amps, cabinets and more. It's got everything a bassist could use... and every effect and amp has most of the controls of the real items. For digital effects, they sure sound excellent. Multiple compressors, limiters, EQs, choruses, phasers, octaves, delays, reverbs, distortions, fretless effect, all the classic amps, preamps and cabinets and tons more... just a sick amount to choose from. Up to five effects in a row and you can change the order of them with ease.

AND it's got a built-in tuner, drum machine and loop pedal. This thing will do anything you can think of except make your playing better. :smug:

Yeah... just awesome.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    Gearhead17 and LowActionHero like this.
  17. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    I use a Compressor set as a Limiter 100% of the time in any style of music..........anything else depends on what I'm trying to do: for example, I may prioritize a distortion pedal for heavy metal or modern rock but I would never use a distortion pedal for pop, funk, or country.......

lowendrachel and Gabbs like this.
  18. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    Started with a volume pedal (Ernie Ball), then a tuner (Boss TU3), then compressor (Ampeg Optocomp), then distortion (Boss DS2), Ditto looper, and now I'm waiting on an MXR Reverb. Now I'm thinking about Chorus. Once you go down this road, it doesn't seem to end. There isn't really such a thing as "just one pedal".

Julian G and Don Sanders like this.
  19. NorthTexasBass

NorthTexasBass Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Dallas / Fort Worth
    Depending on your budget, instead of one of the Zoom pedals, the Line 6 HX Stomp or HX Effects are great. I don't use a ton of effects, but I use the HX Effects as an always on compressor and HPF/LPF, and anything else I would ever use is there when needed.

ellipsis likes this.
  20. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I have as many utility pedals (wireless receiver, tuner, high pass filter / low pass filter, compressor, and DI) as I do actual effect pedals on my board and I could make a good case for any of those being your first pedal, especially an HPF or compressor. But I'll assume you're talking about effects pedals and, for my purposes, it would definitely be a nice overdrive pedal.

I actually have quite a few overdrives because there are so many different flavors out there and often a specific OD pedal will sound better with some basses than others. However, I limit myself to having two on my board and I have a difficult time taking my EHX Bass Soul Food and my [sfx] Micro Red Dragon off of it. I really like both (I'm in a small but growing minority of TBers who actually like the BSF) but, if I had to pick one of them, I'd say the Micro Red Dragon has a slight edge.

Don Sanders likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021