Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just one pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Peik, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Peik

Peik

Dec 2, 2004
    Sweden
    Hey

Kind of warmed to the idea of just having one pickup in a bass, having it placed a little more towards the neck than a musicman. What would be a recomendet Pickup preamp configaration with just one pickup. Looking for versatility and a passiv option? anybody playing one pickup basses apart from Precision and musicman?

Just wondering

Peik

2. A rawk a non-reverse t-bird knockoff I made myself, with a Bart passive humbucker in the same position as a G&L L-1000.

I love the roundness of the tone, without that brittleness you get when you solo a bridge pup...but I like old school tones, not that this is a mudpuppy. If it works it works.

3. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    My Warwick Steamer Stnd had a single MEC Soapbar in the middle, and I liked that just fine. It also had a push/pull volume pot that let you switch the coils in the pickup between series and parallel for different tones. There's nothing wrong with having a single pickup. I actually wish the pickup in my MTD Kingston was a little futher north than it is.

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I play a Modulus Flea 4 as my primary bass and I love it... but you said no Musicman basses, and this is pretty much the same thing.

I've previously owned a Fender P, a Cort Curbow and still own a modded Fender with a single MM pickup in the neck position. There's definitely nothing wrong with single pickup basses.

5. Amen to that. ;)

Peik, you might like the Jack Casady bass. www.casadybass.com

1.) It's passive
    2.) It's got a 3 way varitone switch (mellow, normal, nasty)
    3.) It's got a very warm tone somewhat similar to a P-bass, although not exactly.

They may be hard to come by in Sweden, but they are worth checking out if you get a chance.

Mike

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

in general in my experience a hi output HB (SD Ric bridge, G&L L-2000, MM, etc.), unless you've got big watts pumping tone or run through effects, bass pod or similar. Believe it or not, I found an EMG L-J5 in mid position wired direct to a jack put out a convincely passive vintage tone and worked to about any style of music. And I'm not a fan of actives but it worked well. One never know do one.

7. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

One pup rules.
    Danelectro lipstick pickups are just that funky sound, available from a number of places.
    I prefer single coil types over humbuckers and passive over active. let the amp do the work.
    P-bass and J-bass pickups sound boring, try a Gretsch Filtertron if you can find one.
    Way different sound than what you would ordinarily hear.
    DiPinto Guitars in Phila, PA has a Belvidere bass with single coils that kicks ass, unfortunately they make it with two pickups, but other models are coming.
    Funkengruven!

8. yeah, i had a great experience with one pickup bass, i use emg45dc in middle position, but i wish i had more money to buy a preamp, or another pickup on the bridge. any pre amp suggestion ????

9. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Tobias Growler, I love this mamma.

The pre-amp on this thing has some serious versatility, i can go full on death metal, to smooth hip hop in seconds

10. Hey Matteran, can you give us a mini-review of the Growler?

I'm not saying that I'm going to buy one, but it did catch my eye at Musicians Friend.

Any really good or bad points with this bass?

Mike :)