Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just Order my Spalted Spector JH-5!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adam on bass, Sep 22, 2004.

1. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Just ordered my US Spector JH-5! I'll post when I get it, around thanx-giving. I was so excited I had to share.

2. Cool! It's a US model, right? Should cost you a few bucks! ;)

3. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I have the best wife in the world. When it comes to my happiness money is no object. Not really I haven't told her yet. :confused: It's a US Spalted Top JH-5EX kinda like this:[​IMG]

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Any chance you'd give me your full address and times you're away from the house with any entrances unlocked? ;)

Congrats, man. I love the USA Bolts, and the addition of spalt into the mix makes it that much better. :D

5. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    Have had mine for a couple weeks. It's an '03 leftover, first-gen made with their own TonePump preamp. I tried several sets of strings before settling on TI Flats.
    Its voice sounds a little sterile in the music store, but unlike many basses that may sound "pretty" when solo'ed this bass "sits" extremely well in an ensemble setting. The B string is very balanced and even. I have an awesome dealer that allowed me an opportunity to demo this bass alongside an identical unit with the earlier Aggie OBP-1 for a week, and felt this was the more musical. The 35" scale makes a huge difference in the fundamental of the E and A strings as well. If my dealer hadn't allowed me to gig with this I may have passed on it.

6. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I am going with the EMG BQC system preamp in mine. That will smooth it out and I can have mid control.

7. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    I prolly woulda done something similar if pre-ordering, but I got an un-refuseable deal getting this off the floor. I'll live with it for a while before doing anything foolish.. The TonePump, as well as the Aggie are boost-only preamps. So far, it's been great on a half-dozen or so full-band gigs. The real test for me will be this weekend with a drummer-less acoustic trio.

8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Nice bass! What does one of these gems run price wise?

9. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I think in the store it would be about $1800 to $2000 with the Spalted and no case. I am lucky, I have ins. If I told you how much it cost me, I'd have to kill ya'.

10. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
  11. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Spector = teh secks.

But the Legend's price doesn't quite equal the parts... :scowl:

12. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
  13. screwball

screwball

Jul 25, 2004
    Manchester UK
    i want!

14. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I have a Legend 6 and it plays and sounds better than any 6 in that price range for sure.

This one is the start of a US JH5-EX.

15. nick g.

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Oh, I know. I said in general Spectors are pretty sexy, but I thought the Legend four-banger was fairly overpriced for the features it had. Sounded great, but not quite good enough to justify dropping 600 bucks on it.

16. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I have seen the 4 for 500 shipped. I am amazed at my 6, smooth.

17. nick g.

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Weird... the ones I played (Bubinga & Honey on QM) were floor models at GC.

Anyway, good luck with that USA Bolt! I played one unplugged at GC, great feel to it.

18. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Never pay the tag price at GC. Offer them what you think is fair. Nore times than not they'll take it.

19. nick g.

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Well, there's a new Euro 4 there for $850, I'd say that's a fairly good deal. I just hope it lasts from a couple more months until I get enough cash for it and a new stack (new stack being a little higher on the list).