1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just ordered a 50's road worn precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by subtraction, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Ive been going through a lot of basses lately trying to find "the" one.

Zzounds 12 payment no interest plan hooked me so I caved and ordered one. Should be here at the end of the week.

I am excited but the girlfriend may kill me. Just seeking reassurance that I made a wise choice. And any suggestions on strings if I end up not liking the ones it comes with. Ive been wanting a basic no-nonsense passive bass without a hundred knobs and levers to fiddle with. I think this will fit the bill.

Ive never been able to get my hands on a RW not crazy about the already used look but the overwhelmingly good reviews and reccomendations here has me feeling pretty confident ill be happy.

2. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Yes, you made a wise choice in purposely pissing off the GF. So many times I see guys trying so hard not to this and it just never works, so jumping in with both feet shows much wisdom!!

3. Haha. Well im selling ofher toys.... eventually so whats to complain about in the long run I suppose? And its less than $100 a month.... Thank you payment plans!

Short-scale likes this.
  4. bignote

bignote

May 27, 2006
    Okinawa, Japan
    It is not your GF's money. Congrats.

davedblyoo and Lethgar like this.
  5. Thanks! Its our money we both contribute to the household. So I do feel a little guilty but.... I figure she can get some more frappes and frequent nail salon visits to make up for it? Im pretty damned excited to be back in the Fender game again.

6. Mr. Wu

Mr. Wu Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Canton, GA
    Enjoy it ... Just noticed that you're in Canton, GA as well ... small world. Enjoy the P Bass ... I love mine

subtraction likes this.
  7. Lived in Kennesaw and Dunwoody previously. Dont miss the traffic and rent sure is a lot cheaper here in Canton!

8. If you are not crazy about the relic wear why didnt you get the classic 50s? Its $100 less, has a case and is not a relic.

Mosfed and Mind Eroded like this.
  9. Zzounds nor AMS had one in stock.
    And arent there some kind of other subtle differences between the two besides just the relicing?

10. If you want 50's without relicing, get Laquer(nitro) version. I believe it's the same price as RW. Although 50's P and Roadworn are a little bit different that just relicing. I've tried bunch of 50's at local store and few Road Worns. Definitely Road Worns had better quality control.

SasquatchDude and MovingPitchers like this.
  11. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    Road worns have a different feel from the 50's model.

I have owned Fender American Vintage reissues, American Standards, Standards, MIJ 62 Reissues and Squiers and I will tell you it IS WORTH pissing off the girlfriend! I like the my Road Worn P better than everything else. Light, resonant and deep, smooth lows with beautiful mid punch. Basic, raw, simple 2 knob powerhouse.

AndrewTaran and interp like this.
  12. How long did it take you to get approved for the payment plan?

13. There not different besides the relic wear. I think the other poster maybe confused about the different models. There is a 50s model thats $750 with a poly finish but there is one I think thats $900 with nitro, then the roadworn. The roadworn and the nitro finished one are the same basses, just one is a relic and one isnt. I have had multiple roadworns and the nitro finished 50s in black, there equals. I prefer the broke in feeling on the roadworn's neck.

14. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey, you guys are a little bit north of me.

Think of the RW model as getting a head start. Just give 'er a little scrubbing in a couple of spots and put some hours in and the relic'ing will be unique in no time (+ those hours). I'm somewhere between ambivalent and apathetic about the relic job, but have heard the build & playing quality of those basses are pretty amazing.

15. I've owned three Classic '50s Precision basses (Poly); Sunburst, Fiesta, and Honey Blonde.

My main player is a Classic '50s Lacquer (Nitro), because it has a wicked setup on it.

I also own a Road Worn Precision in Fiesta and a Road Worn Jazz in Sunburst.

IMO, the Road Worn is its own animal. The kiln dried wood or something.

I think the Road Worn basses are really special instruments and I think the OP made a good call. I hope he really digs it.

IMO, the Lacquer bass has more in common with the poly Classics than a Road Worn.

Jim Carr likes this.
  16. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I did the payment plan with Zzounds for my Geddy Lee Jazz, it only takes a couple of minutes for approval, and you just need a credit or debit card. No interest, they split the price up into equal chunks (4, 8, and 12 month plans depending on the price) and the only extra you pay is a $15 processing fee on the first payment. They also give you a schedule for what day each month they will charge your card. You can also pay it off early if you want.

I've been thinking about doing the same thing with a RW precision, or the Lacquer classic 50's precision if they ever get them back in stock. I haven't had a precision in the stable for 20 years, I think it's time to get one.

jbalou02 likes this.
  17. bass71

bass71

Nov 18, 2007
    ct
    RW's are a completely different animal. Had a jazz once. Body and headstock were thinner and the wood did appear to be driedout more which seems to make them way more resonant and lighter then the 50's model.

18. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Whilst I'd not go into debt for an instrument unless I didn't have one to get the day to day jobs done I would never worry about a girlfriend tellig me off for buying an instrument unless I did so with her money rther than mine.

19. pauljude

pauljude

Mar 6, 2014
    oswego ny
    A great choice...what color?....Fiesta Red?....3 tone?