1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just ordered a 50's road worn precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by subtraction, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Love my RW-P. Congrats. Great choice

2. EmptyCup

EmptyCup

Feb 25, 2013
    Nashville Area
    Congrats on your purchase!

I have a RW Jazz (and like it) but am thinking of trying the Precision as well.

A pic/short review maybe on your NBD?

3. I will try to snap a few half decent pictures and give my humble amature opinion. I have a buddy who will check it out with me too, ill share both our thoughts on it here upon arrival.

I kind of wanted a black one if they even made one but the 2-tone burst will do. Just like the relic thing its not my preference but im not too big on aesthetics and care more about how it feels and plays first and foremost so its easy to overlook the superficial. Im far more picky about the quality of components and that everything was put/fit together properly.

I know making payments on a "toy" (at least thats all it is to me) isnt the best decision. Its not a big financial burden to me but ill be listing some other things for sale in the weeks to come regardless to get this bad boy paid off early.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  4. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I've been playing bass for more than 30 years and in that time I've had some very nice & VERY expensive basses. I recently picked up an '09 Road Worn Jazz and honestly, it's one of the best basses I've ever had!

1519986_7f407fec2dc69874c43307eec0ba0e99.

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a used RW Precision. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by it.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  5. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    mark beem likes this.
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Congrats and Zzounds has great customer service

7. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    You made a good choice. I've owned two RW basses, a Jazz and a Precision, and the Precision sounded and played as good as the '58 Precision I used to own.

8. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    True. The body and headstock on the RW's is 1/8" thinner than other Fender basses. This probably accounts for the lighter weight. I don't know about the wood being dried out more, but I do know my two RW's were the most resonant Fenders I ever played.

9. Lots of positive comments here. I am pretty excited! It seems like there is something special about these road worns that no one can exactly put their finger on. I just hope itll be the one thatll keep me happy for a while.

10. RJHall

RJHall

Dec 25, 2012
    New York City
    Dude, wait till you get your hands on that neck. Sooooooooo nice. Mine is an earlier model and feels more like an early-60s neck profile (thinner, softer-"C" front to back), but I've played newer ones that feel more like a traditional late-50s (a little beefier, rounder), so I have no idea how to describe the neck other than awesome. Regardless, this bass is the perfect mod platform to go crazy. Congrats!

PS - I need to sell one of my 2 basses. My American Deluxe is up for sale, but the RW isn't going anywhere!

Attached Files:

11. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I had thought about dropping one of these in mine.

boyojzr1jfhxxkfjcpv3.

60's stcked knob control plate. Still debating internally.

12. What exactly is this? Explain please im curious?

13. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    During the early 60s Fender came out with a Jazz model that had stacked volume and tone knobs for each pickup.

1394805449-noname1.
    original.
    This company builds custom control plates in order to replicate the design.

14. That excuse never worked for me, I still got beaten up by my wife :)

15. Congrats. Any of those Mexican 50's classics are a good choice. I love my honey blonde.

16. Overwhelmingly positive experiences with this thing... I was seriously debating getting one of the new Ibanez SR650 or 750 with the p/j Nordstrand pups. I know completely different but id been eyeballing those for a month or two now. But im certainly more confident than before that ive chosen wisely.

17. I still dont quite understand the stacked knob upgrade deal on the single pup precision?

18. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    It doesn't apply. Sorry for any confusion. I was actually replying RJHall's comment about these basses (the Road Worn series) being a "perfect mod platform". I have a Road Worn Jazz and have considered doing the stacked knob mod.

19. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    Love my RW P and RW J loaded w/ DR strings. Started with Nickel Lo-Riders on the J and Legend Flats on the P, but I now have Nickel Lo-Riders on both.

The only major mod I've done is to swap out the stock J pups for Fralin split-coils.

On the P I tried a Lollar but ended up putting the stock pup back in.

20. Durrrr. Okay that makes sense to me now. I was scratching my head kind of confused. Ive not even thought about upgrading of changing anything besides strings. Probably put a set of EB hybrid slinkys on after a week or two.