1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just ordered a 50's road worn precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by subtraction, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Nickel Lo-Riders are a good choice! The stock strings are actually pretty good, too.

tedsalt and subtraction like this.
  2. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    Congratulations on your purchase. Before reading these posts I went on line to learn about these basses and to get an idea of what they went for. Funny thing, I found a place that had "blemished" models at a reduced price. I don't get it. Its already road worn, yet the "blemished" model cost less? I found that funny :)

3. RNG1

RNG1

Mar 1, 2015
    I recently picked up a 50 RW p bass here and after a quality setup it was much better. Then I did a gig with it (only way for me to really assess anything anymore) and I found the overall tone inconsistent from string to string and up/down the neck.
    BUT THEN I put in a pair of Aguilar pups and now its another animal.
    Played a few gigs since and got several "what the hell is that thing it sounds great "

i have a "regular" shaped pj bass but I also wanted the no frills 1 pickup deal with the retro throwback vibe and am pretty happy with this now especially after the Aguilar install.

Congrats and enjoy

4. Smoove-Groove

Smoove-Groove We've got bush, We've got bush!

Jun 18, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Are these RWs all maple necks only???

5. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    The Precision is maple fretboard. The Jazz is rosewood.

6. el basso

el basso Supporting Member

I just sold my fifth RW yesterday (here). I still have two more, but I can attest they are as reliable and comfortable as anything I've ever played. The 'bang for the buck' factor beats anything.

7. REMBO

REMBO

Jul 26, 2011
    Connecticut
    Happy for you congrats~

8. SteveV74

SteveV74 Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Buy her a gift from Tiffanys, that little blue box will make her forget all about your gear indiscretions.problem solved, youre welcome.:)

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

My favorite strings for the Fender Precision.

tedsalt likes this.
  10. She got that for valentines. Ill find something to make up for it I suppose.

11. RNG1

RNG1

Mar 1, 2015
    I may have misunderstood this thread, the 50s P RW I have is the Mike Dirnt (tele bass) model p bass.
    This has a Rosewood fingerboard.
    Maybe the stock pickups in the standard p RW are better than the stock Dirnt but I didn't care for the stock Dirnt at all.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  12. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Ah, yeah that model does come with rosewood, but there is a maple option as well. I sorta had my eye on the white blonde one with a maple board, but I'm still leaning towards the standard RW precision.

According to the blurb on the Fender site and the wiring diagrams for both the regular 50's RW precision and the Mike Dirnt one, the pickups are different. However, I have seen a few used RW precisions with different pickups, but I guess that's just a matter of preference.

13. Smoove-Groove

Jun 18, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    I see Zzounds doesn't have any Fenders listed on their site. I'm. Really interested in getting one of these road worn P's. How does this kind of online site work? Do they just get stuff in randomly?

14. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Don't count on it. My wife claims that her beauty expenses should be and are part of our overall household expenses, and is not a lavish spend.

15. Hmm zzounds definitely carrys Fenders. I just go to the bass section and then organize the results by manufacturer.

16. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
  17. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Smoove-Groove likes this.
  18. Smoove-Groove

Jun 18, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm probably just not navigating the site properly. I entered Fender into the search and I got no matches.

19. I dont know? Did you try those direct links that mark beem posted? Those worked fine for me. I also tried searching "fender" and a ton of results popped up. You sure you are looking on zzounds.com?

20. I really think im going to try out a set of D addario chrome flats on this bass. Id only ever tried them once and loved the feel but it was unplugged so ive got no real idea how they sound exactly from a personal experience perspective.