1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just ordered a 50's road worn precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by subtraction, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Smoove-Groove

Smoove-Groove We've got bush, We've got bush!

Jun 18, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    I located the bass on Zzounds thanks to Mark for the links. I noticed when I did a close up on the back of the neck that it doesn't really look worn.
    Do they wear the back of the neck too. Or Is it just the body? I have seen worn necks before where they are really dull and smooth with a darker dirtier look to them. These ones almost look new.

2. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    I have owned 2 RW Jazz basses and 1 RW P (still own 1 RW J and 1 RW P) and the backs of the necks did have wear. I lightly sanded a little more 'wear' on the P to get the feel where I like it though.

3. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    What ROOTSnFIFTHS said. The neck feels very nice on my RW Jazz.

4. Just got the bass last night. Sounds real sweet but...

The fret ends stick out of the side of the fretboard. Running your finger up and down you can feel them sticking out maybe about 1/64 of an inch on both sides? After looking around on here it seems maybe this is from the fretboard shrinking due to a being in very dry conditions and once its subjected to some humidity it will swell and no longer be an issue.

The road worn aspect does look a little cheezy and has some worn spots that just seem illogical.

Cosmetics and the fret issue aside im really satisfied. It came with an insanely high action but after adjusting the truss rod about half a turn, lowering the bridge saddles, and adjusting intonation it sure does play real sweet and sounds very nice.

5. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I had the same issue with my Geddy Lee Jazz when I got it from Zzounds with regards to the fret ends. It's not an issue anymore. If yours shipped from the same warehouse as mine, it was from Nevada, quite dry there.

6. Good to hear! It seems to have gotten slightly better after being here in my humid Georgia apartment for about 36 hours now. I really hope it turns out okay because aside from that I am really enjoying the bass. Hopefully ill get a chance to go over to GC tomorrow and pick up a set of flats to try on it.

7. RNG1

RNG1

Mar 1, 2015
    Mine also came in dire need of a neck adjustment but after a pro setup the action and intonation plays about as good as anything else.

Let us know how this bass reacts to flats, I was going to order some Labella flats to try on this after hearing a lot of Pino and Jamerson this last week...

8. crucislancer

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Yeah, it should be fine. Just give it a couple of weeks. Zzounds has a 45 day return policy, so if you think it's not working for you before then, you have that option.

9. Well I decided to take zzounds up on their very accepting return policy. The frets have continued bugging me even though theyve gotten better its still not acceptable to me. Especially for a one thousand dollar instrument.

Totally different instrument but I may end up giving that Ibanez SR650 a try... hmm

10. crucislancer

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    That's a bummer! Well, you tried it, and it didn't work for you, nothing left to do but return it.

11. Man if it wasnt for the fret sprouting issue id be keeping it. I really wish I could find one in a local store to try out. This has kind of left me feeling hesitant of ordering online again.