Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just ordered a '75 reissue...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Btone, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Btone

Btone

May 5, 2001
    I just ordered a '75 reissue jazz from Ishibashi, Japan. Koichi at their web-shop was really helpfull - I've done business with him before (a nice '62 reissue fretless jazz).

The hard thing: How do I explain this to my wife? Why do I need bass # 3..?

To you guys and gals in Europe that have to pay a small fortune for American Fenders - check out the nice japanese Fenders offered by Ishibashi. The instruments are very nice and the service at Ishibashi is great.

Cheers!:)

2. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Tell her you Love her, and do some nice things for her, buy her some lingerie from Victorias Secret, and get her car detailed, works for me.
    Congrats on the bass,I have a few of the mij and they are great.:)

3. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    Bass #3? try explaining bass #13. I think i have her confused enough that i can get away with "which new one? i haven't bought a new bass in quite a while". I'm sure she'll catch on soon enough, then i'll be in trouble.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Good choice! I have an MIJ '75 reissue.

5. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i investigated buying a re-issue from an over-sea's company and found the shipping to be quite pricey,and the fact i did'nt know much about the company in question.may i ask how much it costs to ship ?(since you did buisness with them before)and secondly what is the adress of the place you are going through to buy the bass from ? please any info would be great. i was gonna get the 51 re-issue(japan made)but i'm not to big on the pick-up,i play with my thumb on the pick-up and the 51 though it sounds as big as a regular pick-up it has no place to rest my chubby little thumb:eek:

6. Btone

Btone

May 5, 2001
    I'll tell it to her gently...:rolleyes:
    And nicely...:D

Anyway - you guys with japanese '75 reissues: What's the neck shape like? Some seventies jazzes I've seen have a U shaped neck, rather than the ( shaped neck of my '62 reissue, if you know what I mean - bulkier. I really love the neck of a '62 jazz...Is the japanese '75 RIs similar to their '62 RIs? At the Ishibashi website("specs") they both have "U-shaped" necks - from this I gather they're identical... :confused:

7. Btone

Btone

May 5, 2001
    Here's a link

Ishibashi

I payed 16 000 yen for shipment, go to a currency converter to find out how much this is in your own currency.

16000 yen is 136 $, but the shipment fare is higher for the US than for Europe.

The most important thing: If you gather information on the japanese Fenders here and there on the web, you'll find that most people are very pleased with them (including myself) and that the price is reasonable. Also - I feel very safe and secure ordering from Ishibashi - they seem eager to please - and they're very helpfull.

8. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    Btone,

I had an MIJ 75RI and the neck is not chunky like the 70s jazzes. It has a much thinner profile. Can't compare it to an MIJ 62RI; never played one, but it's not as thin as my MIA 62RI. It's similar to my MIA 75RI neck which is also has a thinner profile than 70s jazzes.

9. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    quote from geezer316:i play with my thumb on the pick-up and the 51 though it sounds as big as a regular pick-up it has no place to rest my chubby little thumb.

I have a "Sting" Bass that has the same pickup, and I find myself resting my thumb on the "E" string more so that ny other basses, the way my arm hangs over the bass It is not a problem to
    play a few notes on the "E" string without my thumb on the pickup. I adjusted the strap to get it just right. And sometimes depending on the song
    I play "palm muted" with my thumb down stroking the string. So it has not been a problem.

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Show her my bass website (www.ninosbasses.cjb.net) & tell her to be greatful you're not as compulsive as me. :)

BTW, what color/type of fretboard are you getting?

11. One of the guys over at the EB Musicman Forums has like 15-20 Musicman Basses ALONE. I practically creamed when I saw his collection...

3 Basses isn't bad at all. If you can fit your entire bass collection on ONE Stand, then you aren't over the limit. Once you need 2 stands for it, then you are getting a little up there. ;)

12. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    I just talked my Wife into letting me buy my seventh bass! Now if I can just talk her into letting me get my Rick refinished!

13. I had a'75 reissue Jazz bass,it was awful I didn't like it at all. The pickups picked up the sound from neon lights. The bass didn't get very loud,different pickups might have worked.

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    As compared to what? Did you have the volume know on your amp all the way up & you weren't loud?:confused:

15. I had the amp turned up all the way,it just wasn't loud enough. The other bass a fender pbass '77 not a reissue was much louder. It kind of made me not like jazz basses,I just don't want to put new pickups in a bass I payed a good amount of money for.

16. Splanky

Splanky

Jun 10, 2002
    Gothenburg Sweden
    Bought mine used over 1 year ago. It´s a Nat/maple and it´s just a wonderful player. The picks are quite noisy though. I will never make the misstake of selling it! (Heard that before haven´t you)

Probably going to Pnx, Az. this Sept. and will be paying the folk´s at The Bassplace a visit (www.thebassplace.com) to buy yet another bass. God prices and really nice guy´s n gal´s!

AND a have to convince the missis that yes i need another bass in the livingroom.:rolleyes: Probably a Am. deluxe p-bass (teal-green or transp. red) or if i can find a nice used Stingray
    The prices in US ar "incredible" compared to Sweden (New Stingray´s ~2800$)

Also considering another MIJ 75 but this time sunburst/maple from Ishibashi. But that´s another story:D

Good luck with the wife (Heard a theory that after 4 basses she will only refer to them as "the *#¤&¤ basses" witch means you can add yet another one and another one.....hmm! Got to try although she´s much smarter than me) ;)

17. Btone

Btone

May 5, 2001
    Thanks, guys, for all the good advice on the wife bit...:D This topic - the wife-bass-relationship needs its own thread..:rolleyes:

Nino-Brown: Ash natural body/maple fretboard. Probably I'll leave the stock pickups where they are - but I might give it a j-retro in a while. I'd like to get to know the bass first, though. Don't wanna mess too much with the vintage-look (I'll keep the stock bridge) and i'll give it a black pickguard and a neck pickup cover.

toad: Thanks for the neck info - so you play both the American and the Japanese '75 reissues? How would you compare them? Especially interested in those aspects of the basses that can't be upgraded easyly - finish, wood workmanship (inlays, neck/body joint, fretwork, grain pattern/gluelines), neck stability, those sort of things.
    Would be nice to hear your judgement on the hardware as well...

:bassist:

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    This is why I had the J Retro installed in Momma. I've used it on 4 studio dates, and nothing but high fives and compliments followed.

19. Are J retro's the original pickups?

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    The J Retro is a retro fitted preamp. I still have the original p'ups in the bass.