Just ordered a Bayou Speaker Cable..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassSurfer, May 19, 2007.

1. And how do they compare to say a regular no name instrument cable :bag: :bag: :help: :bag: :help:

yeah all i used was instrument and effects cables through my avatar with an ampeg B2.. and im hoping this improves the sound greatly... iv'e read their great cables.. but what do you have to say?

:bassist: ;) ;)

2. Shouldnt get an improvement in sound quality from any speaker cable, It will be a hell of alot more reliable tho!

3. realdeal

realdeal Inactive

Dec 10, 2004
    First- let's all take a moment to be grateful for the fact that Butch is a fanatical bassist (he has, oh, about 1,200 instruments!) and that he's a skilled electrician who LOVES what he does- building top-quality speaker and instrument cables, etc.
    We give thanks because he delivers superior product at about 1/2 the cost of the big-boy brands- You know who I'm talkin' about!

I use both his instrument cables (which I INSIST sound better than others I've used) and his speakon-speakon speaker cable(s).

Can't claim that anyone's cable between the head and the cab will improves things sonically; and that barn door has been opened before-
    But Bayou Cables is a GREAT benefit to us.
    His cables, soldering, and assembly are world-class.
    Good on ya, Butch!

4. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Butch's cables are as good or better than the most costly
    cables I've used. I can only say good things about his stuff.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I've only gotten one cable from Butch so far. But I'm very pleased with his customer service, and the cable I got seems to be very high quality.

I am going to be needing a few more instrument cables in the near future, and I have no doubt in my mind I'll be ordering them from Bayou Cables.

6. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I ditched monster cables for bayou. I was in love the first time I got one. His speaker cables are top notch too. And his customer service is a big step above the rest.

7. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    I ordered 2 instrument cables short notice for an important gig and Butch came through with time to spare. Cables are top notch, and CS is excellent. Highly recommended.

8. I make and have been making fairly good cables for my own consumption for several years now. But I had to have an absolutely 'fail safe' instrument cable for church performances. I'm delighted to report my Bayou cable has met and exceeded my expectations.. as did the super-robust 'right angle adaptor' that I've stuck on the cab's speaker cable.

9. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1 to Bayou/Butch being the real deal.

But I'm just glad the OP finally stopped using an instrument cable as a speaker cable!!! :eek: :D

10. Oh I'm sure plenty of people have done that, as I certainly have. But when someone tells you something you are doing is "wrong".. best not be too quick to simply 'blow it off' as it may well be VERY useful advice.. good enough to spare you some grief in the future. :D

11. I agree with all the comments on Butch and his cables. I don't think of it in terms of being better than brand x or whatever, it's more that I've invested good money in all my equipment and feel that Bayou gives me top quality/reliable cables to connect it all together - no magic, just great quality.

I should also add that he's great to deal with from outside the US - friendly, reliable, quick delivery etc. Like everyone else, I can't recommend Bayou highly enough.

12. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Butch's cables a pretty much bullet-proof. I haven't had one fail yet (4+ years of use).

Ken

13. thanks for all the posts guys!

14. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I just ordered a speaker cable from him too. Got a 3 ft. Speakon cable with an angled connector at one end for 18 bucks... seems like a pretty nice deal considering he lets you choose all the options like that.

And if the quality's anywhere near as good as the Clear Connect instrument cable I bought from him a while back, I definitely won't be disappointed. :)

15. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Did none of you catch the fact that OP said he replaced an instrument cable that he had been using with his Avatar cab with a proper speaker cable? :eyebrow:

Yes, it should be better. Why? It's the right cable for the job regardless of brand. I'll leave why an instrument cable is better for the job up to the guys that like to talk technical. ;)

16. ^ thanks kelly

17. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    It was the first detail I noticed. Shielded cables as speaker cables are never a good idea. I was noting the reliability of Butch's products, thanks.

Ken

18. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

+1 I couldn't have said it better. :)

19. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    In this case Bayou cables do sound better than some brands because their cables are designed to filter or drop some frequencies and let more of others through for what at first sounds like an increase in the frequecies that you are looking for . but upon closer examination (spectrum analyzer) there are just other frequencies at much reduced levels that cause this precieved increase to make us thing these cablesa are better and Bayou cables just let it all through.Thus sounding in some cases like someone removed a blanket from in front of their speaker. Just MY opinion but I have done tests with many cables and found very few that let everything through and these are one of them.

20. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    No doubt these cables also include mind-reading equipment to detect what frequencies are being 'looked for' by each owner who will have different hearing, different speakers, different amp, different bass, different playing style also? :bag::D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021