Just ordered a Bayou Speaker Cable..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassSurfer, May 19, 2007.

1. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Heh... While his message may not have been worded terribly well, I think I understand what he's trying to say.

In my limited experience, certain cables I've used have sounded a bit "muffled" (Monster comes to mind) whereas Bayou and others don't seem to have this sound characteristic. I *think* what Nighttrain is trying to say is that some cables damp certain frequency ranges to change the sound (ie. damping the higher frequencies to give the illusion of having more bass.) Though I'm not sure of the physics of this, so I don't know if it is realistically possible or not.

I also can't give any quantifiable evidence of the sound differences I hear between some cables as I mentioned above, so take it with a grain of salt.

2. I also ditched Monster cables for Bayou Cables. Too bad I found out about Butch after about a grand into Monster.

After I got my first instrument cable from Butch, I did an A/B between a Monster and a Bayou. Wasn't expecting much but was I ever surprised.

Absolutely, unquestionably, the Bayou was clearer and cleaner than the Monster. You could hear the difference clear as a bell from the first note.

I never looked back. Bayou is the ONLY place I get cables from now.

3. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Lockout Thanks for making my wordy Rant into something easier to figure out. That is exactly What I am talking about and what monster and other cable companies have been doing for years. Many different ways to do it but what they do is make us believe we are getting more of what we want so we buy their products.
    No the cables are not psychic and can not change the frequencies they filter per what the user wants and needs. But also no need to be sarcastic just because you don't understand someones point or don't believe there is any difference between cables. Everyone is entitled to their belief and opinions .

4. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    I understood your point quite well. And - as always - people will hear what they want to hear.

If any cable 'filters' frequencies in a particular way then I would say this points to it being poorly manufactured, or that cheap materials are being used (eg high capacitance cable), rather than it being especially 'better' (whatever that means) than other cables.

5. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I don't think he's saying that cables sound better due to the filtering. I believe he's saying the opposite, actually, that they don't sound as good as cables that don't mess with the sound as much (the Bayou cables in this case.)

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    OK, this thread is going downhill fast. :eyebrow: If this doesn't get back on topic quickly I'm going to shut it down.

7. thanks for all these posts guys.. hopefully this well help other people.. in their quest to find out more information on bayou cables..

8. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    I heard all great and wonderfull stories about Bayou cables, and I am sure they are all true as there are many that support him.
    I ordered cables from Bayou......and now I am a customer of www.procablesnsound.com & www.audiopile.net instead.

9. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Once again Lockout you hit the nail on the head. What I was saying is that some cable makers use cable or whatever that does not give you all the sound your amp produced and that it eliminates some sounds to make us believe that we are getting more of what we want in this case Bass frequencies. Or in the case of their guitar cables it drops some of the lows to make the highs more prominent. Just trrying to make a point and I did go off a bit my Insulting another TB'er When I should have said nothing directed at anyone. Every one hears what they will If it is better then great if it is the same that is also fine everyone has different tastes and that is why there is so much stuff available for us to play with. The key go have fun. Butch has some great cables and you will not be dissapointed with them.

10. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I've ordered cables from Procables N' Sound too, they make good quality stuff. I probably would have ordered my most recent speaker cable from them too if they sold cables with angled Speakon connectors through their website (I'm a big fan of those for some reason. :))

Care to elaborate on what you didn't like about Bayou Cables?

11. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI

Never got to try them, I placed an order for some speaker cables I was told they where running about a week for delivery, waited about two weeks and called and asked where my cables where and was told they where going to be another week or so because Butch was sick (?) which at this point my patience for (2) cables was kind of wearing a bit thin as I could have ordered them from anybody and had recieved them by now. I posted a comment about Bayou cables on Edens forum page and like magic Butch showed up to defend himself, so he was too sick too make/ship cables but he somehow found my posting on a forum page minutes after I posted it, he made his appologies for not being able to ship my cables in a reasonable amount of time and instead of offering to expedite (2) cables out for me he refunded my money and I have been a customer of Procablesnsound & Audiopile ever since.

12. An enthusiastic +1! Ive ordered from Butch 3 times and will continue to do so.

Check out his right angle speakon connector. Great stuff!

Bayou Cables rule!!!

Carlo

13. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Man, you guys, I just gotta say. I haven't bought a cable from anyone in 30 years. I always make my own. SO much cheaper, and so much better, IMHO. I just can't see the prices they charge for a few minutes time and a little solder. Man, take a little time out, and learn how to solder. You'll save yourselves a couple hundred bucks in no time at all. It's easy, try it.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've never bought any Bayou cables, but I would on reputation if I didn't build my own. It sounds like Butch does some pretty high-quality work. Ultimately, with speaker cables at least, you probably won't hear any sonic difference ... copper is copper. I will bet anyone here though, that Bayou speaker cables would be indistiguishable from the venerable Tara Labs cables in a properly conducted double-blind sound comparison. However, durability does make a difference, and that's what gives a good cable its value (and I'm not talking about Tara Labs when I say value).

15. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    And that should be the end of that.

16. +1

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021