Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just ordered a Boss OC2, who's got one?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chump stain, Apr 13, 2002.

1. after watching the live RATM DVD and listening to Juan Nelson on Live from Mars, I've decided I want that sound! I'm not sure what octaver Tim (from Rage) is using but I know Juan is using the Boss.

those of you that have that pedal or any other octaver tell me how you use yours, like in what context? I thought it would be cool for bridges, or when playing with a single guitar during a solo or something to try and fatten things up.

I know once I get it I'm gonna want to over use it at first. anyone got any pointers on when not to use it?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I have one and I love it!

It may not track as well as the EBS, but it sounds better IMO, really warm, like a vintage synth.

Definitely a must-have pedal.

3. thanks, you just assured me it wasn't an impulse buy!
    how often do you use it?
    do you have to not use it too often, as to retain some impact when you do?

I was thinking it would really thicken things up for adding more dynamics, am I right?

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I use it in different settings.

One would be as a regular octaver, e.g. like Pino Palladino does, direct signal and Octave 1 set at 2 o'clock, sounds great, especially with the fretless.
    Check out Pete Townshend's Give Blood for a sound sample (off the White City album).

Two is as a bass synth, with almost no direct signal and octave 1 and/or 2 set at will.
    Great for weird noisy and synth-like sounds. The tracking makes it a bit like a risky thing notewise, but it sounds cool.

I don't use it that often, maybe one in seven songs, and rarely throughout the whole song, but I'd use it more often in a trio setting.

5. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    They don't really track well below "D" and don't sustain (as they start picking up on the harmonics and tracking badly) but they're nifty little boxes! Leave the 2nd octave well alone, you can't really hear it and therefore it's just frying your speakers. I use mine in a song when I want to move up the neck but need to keep a fat sound. Works great! I'd love a mutron octave divider though, or an EH octave multiplexer! Ahhhh, the folly of the gear head!

6. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I tell you exactly when I use it! I play in a cover band(www.ptmeatbox.com) and have been using this octave for about 10 years. I use it with the dry signal full on and first octave down at 11 o'clock and the 2nd octave off, just to fill in the bottom on the song "Pour some sugar" by Def Leppard. I also turn up the 1st octave down to about 1 o'clock on the song "In the End" by Linkin Park. For "What I Got" by Sublime, I play past the twelfth fret with the 2nd octave down full on, the first octave off, and the dry signal off and loop the bassline. Very sythny. You done good!

7. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I've had one for years and I like it. Works well for me, although I rarely use it now.

8. thanks for the input guys.
    I've been playin around with it for a couple days now and I'm digging it. the only problem I'm having is that it seems to be sensitive to an aggressive touch. if I dig in a little too much it gets distorted. I was thinking of getting that boss limiter enhancer for bass. I was messin around with one yesterday, it's a lot like a compressor.
    what do you think, have you guys run into anything like this? maybe I just need to be more disciplined while using it.

9. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I've run a compressor before the OC2 and it does help.

10. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    My pickups are pretty hot. So, it clips and makes this awful fart/distortion sound alot. If you have a high gain bass, I would recomend running a comp. in front of it as well. It also does'nt track well at all on lower notes. Other than that, It's a very warm sounding octave. Turn your dry signal down and the octaver up, get some great dub synth tones.

11. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    C.S...You are playing this piece of gear as much as you are playing your bass, so touch is totally important. Digging in yields a much different "punch" than say playing upright -like tones close to the fingerboard. But the fun part is learning what it can do and where to use it. The comp. would help, but the main thing is keeping an even hand to make sure it will track properly.

12. thanks guys!
    yeah it's like 60 or 70 bucks for that limiter pedal, I just don't have the bread right now. I'm gonna work on my touch.

13. Different basses will trigger the OC2 differently. It sounds horrible with my Burns, but sings (all the way down to an F or G) with my Rickenbackers. It's also a good idea to put it before any effect that can lessen the attack - eg if placed after a phaser, it'll hardly ever track.

The only time i've had distortion is when the amp couldn't handle the signal of the OC2 - remember that 1 octave down from an E is a pretty low frequency, and 2 octaves is stupid low.

I only tend to play mine above the 12th fret (Oct2 off, Oct1 and Direct @ 2pm) - it gives me a nice synthy low fundamental while the bite of the higher register kicks through. Only on a couple of songs though. Great for slides!

14. just got done using it last night for a song with very good results. I stayed light with my attack and it worked beautifully. really fattened up the bridge on a song we do.
    I had it set at; direct @ 2:00, and Oct.1 @ 1:00
    I'm stoked, it sounds sweet :D

15. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I just tried an Ampeg B5R amp yesterday at the music store. This amp has an Octaver built in. It tracks better than the OC2 and sounds really good. I didn't get to A-B it with an OC2 though, so I believe that the sound of the suboctave ala Ampeg is more pure than the OC2 derived sound but I could be mistaken. In many respects I like the OC2 better, but there are also reasons to like the Ampeg version better too, such as better tracking.

16. yeah, the BAM 210 at my church has an octave effect on it also. and like you were saying it is very good, maybe better than the boss. but, I can take the boss home with me. plus, I'm not excatly sure how to just select the octave effect from the many effects on the BAM with the pedal. clickin' the boss pedals is just easier for me than using the BAM's pedal, eventhough the BAM's pedal is pretty good.

I also got the TU2 and the little 3 pedal carrying case/pedal board from boss. I got one more slot to fill :D any suggestions?

17. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Chump, I have a Boss synth and a few other pedals up for grabs in the for sale forum. I'll give ya' a deal on it.

18. I think the strong point of the OC2 is it's synthetic synth-tone...it doesn't sound at all like a true octave of the orginal sound.

19. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    anyone ever run the output into an electronic tuner ?
    (or even better a frequency analyzer ?)