1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just ordered a Classic 50's Lacquer Precision...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vinnie Boombatz, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    I recently foolishly sold my (non-lacquer) 50's Classic Precision, and a few weeks later regretted selling it, so I pulled the trigger on a Classic 50's Lacquer this morning. Should be here sometime next week. I've never been a fan of ordering online without playing the bass first, but I've had two of these over the years and they both were great and very consistent in regards to sound, fit and finish. The last one just didn't seem to like the higher tension of heavier gauge flats, and I'm not a fan of TI's or other low tension flats.

I was torn going back and forth between getting another non-lacquer 2-tone sunburst and buying a Fender hardshell case for it, or going with the lacquer version that comes with a hardshell case, but after the same discount on each bass, it ended up costing the same, so I just went for the lacquer version.

I'm not a believer that wood "breathes", or one finish produces a more resonant tone over another, etc. That's all crap! it's more about the luck of the draw and getting one where the body and neck just happen to create an instrument that just sounds great! Also wasn't the biggest fan of the black, but I've ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS owned sunburst basses, electric guitars and acoustics, and I like the contrast of the maple neck with the black body and gold pickguard. Looks even classier with covers and a tug bar, and I just happen to have those in my parts bin.

Will update once it shows up next week!

2. I'm looking at one of these as well. I would love to hear your thoughts! Stay in touch!
    Best wishes,
    Brent

3. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    If it's anything like the other 2 non-lacquer versions I've owned, it will be a winner. Not were really light and resonant. Hoping the case isn't cheap/crappy.

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. Davey28

Davey28 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Gaylord, Mi.
    You're going to love the lacquer version. I have both, and the lacquer one is my favorite. The vintage tinting on the lacquer bass is very cool compared to the poly bass.

Vinnie Boombatz likes this.
  5. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Are you referring to differences in the -- neck tint?

6. Davey28

Davey28 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Gaylord, Mi.

Yes, the neck tint is a lot more yellow on the lacquer bass. Very noticeable.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  7. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Ah, nice to know, as I prefer that heavier tinting on the neck. Thanks!

Subbed for Vinnie's review. When's she scheduled to arrive?

8. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    As a serious Pbass lover, you should get yourself a Avri 63pbass.

MrRobert likes this.
  9. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    Sometime this week, but I may not be able to pick it up until the following week if it doesn’t arrive Tuesday or Wednesday, which are my only two days off this week besides today.

10. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    I’m not into paying what those cost right now. I know some will disagree, but the Classic 50s have a sound to them all themselves and you can even hear it on YouTube with the demos. And I think the quality of the Mexican Classic series insteuments is great, making it not worth it to me to shell out for an AVRI, even a used one.

11. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Definitely thinking about one of these. They look great, and I want to know if I can get to know the 1.75" nut width, as it opens up a lot more builder options than 1.65".

12. i have a road worn with a classic 50s lacquer body
    YRliPZm19GW9OMMX-8XgaRhhdCKlq3b4stuIX78XzXvKrihs-TF9tk1RTugbLU0bo0EaqapOhxeaziUlXkrg=w640-h400-k.

superdick2112, 96tbird and Bassa Nova like this.
  13. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    It doesn’t seem like a big difference in paper, but you will for sure feel it in hand, and it is significant. Some like it, some don’t. And I think the standard Precision nut width is 1.62” or 1.625”, not 1.65”, making the jump to 1.75” just that’s much bigger.

14. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

The width is somewhat negated by the old school tight radius and nicely shaped back of the neck.

Nothing else looks cooler than that big fat neck either. You know it’s a dam bass right there. In your face. Beef. Big boy bass. No namby pambies need apply. :roflmao:

15. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    I wouldn’t go as far as saying the wider but is negated by the fretboard radius, and in reality the difference between 7.25” and 9.5” is pretty minimal. Anyone who has ever picked up the other Classic 50’s I’ve owned has immediately commented on how wide th neck is. Not saying it’s a bad thing, just saying you’ll for sure notice it.