1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just ordered a Douglas WOB 826

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Man Dan, Nov 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    I have never owned anything but 4 stringers, but have always wanted a 6 to play around with. Never knew these existed until yesterday. I read the threads on here, sounds like they are decent basses. Unbelieveable that they are on sale now, I got a red one on the way for under $135 shipped! Looking forawrd to playing around with that this winter!

One odd thing, the red color is $10 cheaper than the black or natural. But the really odd thing is that a natural was calculating $32 shipping (not bad). But the red was $18 shipping? I have to think they are coming from the same place, but maybe I'm wrong.

Michael-hoff likes this.
  2. Bass Man Dan

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    So, NBD! Here it is. Playable out of the box. Needs some set-up for sure. Definitely impressed by the sound and playability for a brand new 6-er that only cost $133 shipped!

41 years old, been playing for nearly 25 years, and this is my first new electric bass! Now, how do I play it?

Attached Files:

3. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    Congrats. I was eyeballing that same one last night, completely unrelated to your original post. Hope you enjoy it!

Michael-hoff and Bass Man Dan like this.
  4. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    I'm actually on RondoMusic right now looking at those same basses! Could you list any pros and cons?

How is the bridge?

Bass Man Dan likes this.
  5. Bass Man Dan

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    I'll gladly help anyway I can, but know this: I am not an expert on bass parts by any means. I played ALOT of bass in my teens and early 20s. I have not played seriously in probably 15 years until recently. Back then I was too young to care about nuance. So I am learning how to set up basses and figuring out stuff now, a lot of my knowledge has come from this site, which is an incredible resource. So consider me a beginner when it comes to much of this.

The bridge is adjustable and comes with the tool needed for it as well as the truss rod. The bass came with a 9 volt battery and cheap instrument cable, as well.

So far, and mind you, I've never had a 6 string and I've literally had this thing for a couple of hours:

Pros: 1. Good action right out of the box. Nothing buzzing or an inch high.
    2. The appearance overall is good. I like the translucent red, this bass has some decent grain on it. The back of the neck does too.
    3. Fretwork is decent. Better than I expected.
    4. It sounds really good plugged in, with all tone controls set to mid-points. I haven't gotten to messing with those. I am running it through a GK Backline 600 head and an old Carvin 4x10 cabinet. Good low end, not muddy. Good highs, by my estimation. Not too thin.

Cons:
    1. I really wish they had left the neck natural on the front. I know it might have looked a bit odd, but it looks odder to me to have an obviously different wood from the body painted the same color.
    2. That low B seems a bit floppy, but what the hey do I know? I've never had anything but 4s.

Attached Files:

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  6. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    stock B-strings tend to be floppy because most places don't make thick enough B-strings. You could try a .135 and you'll get a nicer B-string. Bassstringsonline sells singles

Bass Man Dan likes this.
  7. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Kudos to the manufacturer for getting all the bridge pieces parallel! It amazes me how many makers screw this up, at all price points.

el_Bajo_Verde and Bass Man Dan like this.
  8. Bass Man Dan

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    One note, I played this for a couple of hours and then picked up my Corvette Rockbass, it felt like a ukelele!!!

9. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I agree a thicker B helps. I have one of these, and I use a 0.130 B. Actually, however, rather than just changing the B, get a new set of strings, that will be the only mod you really need. This bass is stupid value.

Bass Man Dan likes this.