Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just Ordered a DP Custom

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillSC, May 30, 2002.

1. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    Hello: I am new to the forum. I am very impressed with the content and conduct of what is contained here. I have been playing guitar for a lot of years (more than I would like to admit), but I have recently switched to playing bass and abosolutely love it. Oddly enough, I find that I am a better bass player then I ever was a guitar player. At any rate, I just wanted to say that I have recently ordered a DP Custom and I can't tell you how impressed I am with the service provided by Dave. I dont live far from him, but have communicated with him via email. He has patiently answered the 3.5 gozzilion questions that I have posed and has been incredible in walking me through the ordering process. I am very confident that the bass I will get from him will be incredible. If it is 1/4 as high quality as his customer service, then it will be top drawer. Just wanted to post kudos for guy that is really doing some good work. If companies went half the distance Dave does in helping their customers, the bass world would be a better place. Atta boy, Dave....

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hi, man! welcome aboard...

we have quite a few of dave's customers here, many of which are quite satisfied. he's turned out some pretty impressive basses from what i've seen here. what are your specs? or....are they a secret? :D

nice to see someone from south carolina here...i'm originally from barnwell :rolleyes: so, are the root doctors still around?

3. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Congrats man! I'm waiting on my guitar to be built by Dave right now. He really is a great guy to work with.

So, yeah, like neptoon said...what are the specs?:)

Oh, and welcome to the board.

Alex

4. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    welcome!

i'm another guy waiting for dave to start building my bass. we should start a club :D

5. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    Thanks for replys and the welcomes! Neptoon...the specs are no secret at all. My apologies for not including them. They are as follows:

5 string
    walnut body
    cocobolo top
    tung oil
    3 piece neck...maple/walnut/maple
    gold hardware
    Bartolini dual coil soapbars
    Bartolini 2 band EQ
    pao ferro fretboard
    no inlays

I cant wait to get this beauty! Neptoon...the root doctors are still hanging around, but maybe not quite as "vogue" s they once where. But hey....same is true for Hootie and the Blowfish...smile! C-ya guys

6. Bill,
    welcome to talkbass!
    I've been very happy with my DP 5. it's my main axe, and it's helped me to not want another bass! which my wife likes.

I really like your wood choices, if I ever get another DP I think I too will go with cocobolo over walnut.
    yeah, Dave rocks. I don't know how he puts up with people, you know he's got to be answering the same questions like a billion times.

one thing I can say about my DP is, the tone is unbelievable! it really cuts through, just like I wanted. I told Dave I wanted to cut through, and he suggested using Ash in the body, and he was right. just last night I was talking to my buddy who was in the congregation (I play at church), and he was telling me how good the DP sounds and "you can really hear it good". I was switching back and forth between my DP and my fretless Dean. the DP has a really distinctive tone :)

anyway, if you want to see pics of my bass, search my posts, I wrote a reveiw.

7. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    Hey Chump Stain:

Glad to know my choices are in line. Dave was really helpful. I agree...he must be going nuts by now. I will look for your pics. I will keep you posted as the bass takes form....Bill

8. Hi Bill, and welcome.
    Just last week I sent in my deposit for:
    35" fretless 5
    cocobolo sandwiched on a mahogony core
    ebony board
    maple/wenge/maple neck
    Bart Quads
    3 band EQ
    black hardware
    Hipshot B bridge
    Gotoh tuners (angled)

I can't wait.

And isn't it nice to deal with a guy who makes it so easy to put together what you want?

9. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Man I'd hate to be fifth in line. I will be following your odyssey into custom bass making.

10. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    Thanks for the welcome. guys! The only trouble now is waiting the requisite amount of time to completion. Not real good for one's GAS! :)

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'm glad to hear that the roots are still playing. donnie sowell was an acquaintance of mine about 10 years ago...i took a couple lessons from him. i even have a copy of their first album and his business card from when he worked at fox in columbia. :D tell him i said hi...

[​IMG]

12. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    Sure will, Neptoon. I was just out in your neck of the woods this week. Spent a week on Orcas Island, WA. Had a blast. You doing a USN tour at Bremerton?

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, i'm at sub base bangor. i spent about 6 years between c school and the USS TENNESSEE down in king's bay, ga, and they sent me up here for shore duty. but, yeah, i haven't heard anything about the doctors in forever...apparently the have three albums out now, and they're still playing around. i just visited their website. what sort of gear is donnie using these days? i've always loved his sound. i think it comes more from him than anything else, but i was just curious.

back on topic, i think you're gonna dig your dp...at least a lot of the guys around here are pretty pleased with the way they turned out. be very specific, and be careful what you ask for. laterz, man.