1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just ordered a Markbass TA503

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JGR, Sep 14, 2008.

1. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Well, I've been diggin the R500 and thought the TA503 might be cool to add to the arsenal to provide some cleaner tones. I'm thinking the R500 with the NV610, and the TA503 with the NV215 should work well. I also have three Bag End S15-D's and can only drive two with the R500, so adding the TA503 should be a cool vertical column of doom.

Haven't seen much about the TA503 so I'll post a review when it arrives this week. As I mentioned in my R500 post, I like the idea of being able to pick my EQ points (though I do like where the R500's are set) - I was thinking about the SA450, but I feel like the 10kHz treble would be useless to me as a 4 string pickstyle player - I hate tweeters and anything over ~5kHz, and didn't want to give up one tone control right off the bat... it is shelving though, so perhaps it would still be useful, who knows. Not sure how much the tube preamp will add, but I figure it can't hurt - not looking for grit in this amp since the R500 has plenty, but a little tube richness is always welcome.

Anyone have any experience with the TA503 yet? Kind of funny with all the Markbass talk that I seem to gravitate towards two of their least popular models!

JR

2. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

Me thinks it comes down to money. There are a heck of a lot more of the cheaper units around. I want them to come out with a cross between the 503 and 501 with more power.

Cant wait to hear about this one. It has my interest way more than the other units. :hyper:

3. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I hear ya about the power - I like to have it just for the sake of massive headroom, and well, just to have it! That said, I'm still pretty pleased with the power the R500 puts out - seems like a very honest 500 watts and I can't imagine it not being enough for most situations through a decent size cab.

I'm also finding that with my higher power heads, I hit the limits of what my cabs can handle since my playing style has more even dynamics and not a lot of transients. I think a lot of folks probably need the headroom so they don't get nasty distortion when they are slapping and popping whereas a hack like me just likes to drive my rig to stupidly loud sustained volume. :bassist: :p

4. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Yes my Playing is Very Agressive. :eek:

Your just a wuss. :D

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Boy, am I glad I'm out of that loop! 25w should be enough for anybody!

6. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    So nobody here owns one of these yet?

JR

7. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

Ha!

As my Amigos used to say Tu Smokin Mohta.

8. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I saw the 501 in GC today. Wanted to play it but is was a mad house in there. Sometimes I'll go in when things are semi mellow and try some gear out but not when the Circus is in town. :D

9. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    I hear ya. I find it's also really important to try it through your own cabs in your own environment with your own bass - that is one of the beauties of MF and other online retailers. I was hoping mine would ship today but there was no word :mad:

I love having a huge unfinished basement because I can crank to levels that would get me arrested in a music store and get a better idea of how the gear will perform at stadium levels. :)