Just ordered a new bass. My first precision!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drd07, Aug 18, 2003.

1. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I'm sooooooooo excited for my new bass to come. I just ordered a brand new Fender 70's Reissue Precision MIA for a great price. It is perfect - graphite reinforced truss rod, 1.62 in nut, string through body, olympic white w/black pickguard, drool.... Sorry, but I thought that I would share the excitement!
  2. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Congrats! I've been jonesin' for a good P lately. All this time on my (wonderful) fretless 5-string Pedulla has got me thinking about the original...

Plus, I just quit my band, the leader of which had a killer 1970 P-bass that I played for their gigs. The thing just had an indescribable mojo -- it was beat to hell, high action, mangled frets, old strings... played like hell, but it sounded sooo nice! Weirdly comfortable, too. Like old levi's.

Have fun turning it (slowly, please) into a relic!
  3. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA

your first P-bass.
  4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    thats the string through one, right? if so, that thing would look KILLER with a set of bridge + PU covers... :drools:
  5. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Yes it has a string through body. I can't wait to get it! Here are the specs on this bass:

Model Name: FSR ‘70s American Precision Bass

Model Number: 017-4700-(705)

Series: American Series

Body: Alder

Neck: Maple, with Vintage Tint Gloss Finish

Fingerboard: Rosewood, (9.5” Radius/241 mm)

No. of Frets: 20 Medium Jumbo Frets

Scale Length: 34” (864 mm)

Width @ Nut: 1.625” (41.3 mm)

Hardware: Chrome

Machine Heads: Cast / Open Back

Bridge: American (Strings-Thru-Body)

Pickguard: 3-Ply Black

Pickups: 1 American Precision Bass Split Single-Coil Pickup

Controls: Volume, Tone

Colors: (705) Olympic White,

(Polyurethane Finish)

Strings: Super Bass 8250M, NPS, p/n 073-8250-006,

Gauges: .045, .065, .085, .110TW (Taperwound E)

Unique Features: Early ‘70s Precision Bass Decal,

Graphite Reinforced Maple Neck,

Rounded Body Shape,

Rolled Fingerboard Edges

Source: CORONA (US)

Accessories: Molded Case

U.S. MSRP: $1,227.99

Specs: Prices and Specifications Subject to Change Without Notice

INTRODUCED: 7/2002

COMMENTS: Limited run in second half of 2002

WRENCH SIZES: Truss Rod Wrench, 3/16", p/n 0048693000,

Saddle Height Wrench, 1/16", p/n 0021109000

Does anybody know what strings are best to put on this bass?
  6. It sounds sweet! But you gotta get a pic on here.

But...a question, is this the price?

U.S. MSRP: $1,227.99
  7. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Thats the best part - the price. It was $749 and that includes free shipping and a hardshell case. I have been pondering for a really long time on a fender japan '62 precision reissue from the ishabashi webstore. That runs around 400. But, with shipping it comes out to around 575. Plus, no hardshell case. I figured on this 70's precision reissue is awesome for the price. Here is where the pics are at and where I bought it:

8. That is a fine instrument you've gotten your hands on. Good luck with it, hope it sounds as good as it looks.
  9. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
  10. i saw this same bass at buckdancers (portland,me.) for 435.oo !!
  11. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Wow! That's an awesome price. Is that a local store? Was that for used or brand new?
  12. dhloden

Mar 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Wow, sounds like a great bass. Couldn't agree more Junglebike about the 'old Levis' feel.

Leo really put that pickup in the sweet spot too!

13. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars

Congrats! I'm feeling a bit old though. You see, my first p-bass was the very bass that re-issue is based on. I bought new a 1975 white Precision with the rosewood board and black pickguard. I had it for 15 years, and it was heavily modified over its lifetime (it's out there somewhere...like a moron I sold it here in CT around 1989-90...anyone have it?).

Within the first year the white finish dulled and faded to a creamy/yellowish tint. Sounds weird but it added a very cool vibe. I wore a green polyester (hey, 1975 remember?) shirt for a high school dance gig and it permanently stained the back green along the upper horn. When I went to the U of Miami in '79 I had it converted to fretless (by Jaco's luthier in fact), a DiMarzio j-bass bridge pickup added and the electronics re-wired with a bass/treble stack-knob tone control, and added an original Leo Quan BadAss solid brass bridge. I miss that bass.

14. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    :D :D :bassist:

That is way rockin'

Might want to e-mail Fender about your technique -- they may want to use it to properly relic their 70's reissues! :cool:
  15. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Thats what I'm hoping for - for it to turn that cool creamy yellow vintage color. I didn't know that it would turn that color within a year though! I thought I was going to have to wait at least a couple of years. Cool!
  16. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Well...don't get your hopes up. Back in '75 they were still using nitrocellulose paint (I think...somebody correct me if I'm wrong), and they don't use that stuff any more on anything other than custom shop basses, AFAIK, so don't expect the same effect, especially not as quickly. The new stuff is "better", so it doesn't fade as much or as fast.