1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just ordered a new head, and deal alert to SWR fans

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big Mike Ipp, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    I had a SWR 350x head for about 3 days. It had a loud 60-cycle hum but that hum got no lounder when anything was being amplified.

But the main problem was, I was trying to drive a SWR 4x10 Goliath III and an SWR 1x15 Son of Bertha with it, two 8 ohm cabs. And it simply did not have enough power. Even in my home practice room I couldn't find any setting that didn't push it past the point of nasty-sounding clipping, and it still wasn't loud enough to be heard over unamplified drums. I used the hum as an excuse to return it.

I tried out the SWR 750, and that had plenty of power. It's also very expensive. I ended up going with Carvin, and I'm happy now.

2. I tried out one a few years back but ended up going in a different direction with an ampeg head, didn't have any issues with it and with my PR410HLF, I thought it sounded pretty good, however this time I picked it up as a backup to my current head because its, IMHO, head and shoulders about the same competition priced at $300.

Anyone else any thoughts?

3. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    wow the link says discontinued now.....