1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

just ordered a new jetglo 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnk_10, Apr 23, 2010.

1. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i've been playing my 91 V63 alot lately, and loving its tone, so i guess you could say that i've been re-bitten by the Rickenbacker bug. after selling my jetglo 4003 (purchased brand new in 2005) a few years ago in order to pay for the fireglo V63, i really missed having it as another ricky 'option'.
    i actually prefer the slightly more comfortable feel and look (to me) of the unbound body and neck of the V63, but there's just something about a jetglo 4003 (or 4001) that i just love the look of too, so i just bought one with overnite shipping from music123. they had the jetglo in stock and i had a 15% coupon for it, so it ended up being only $1657 (+ $40 for overnite shipping) and its also very nice to not have to wait 1-3 years to get it! hopefully it'll be on the fedex truck and at my front door tomorrow, but if not, it'll be here monday. i'm also digging that the new ones have the neck inlays that go all the way to the edges now (like the first 4001's), so i guess i won't miss the 2005 that i had. ;)

btw, here's a pic of the one that i have now that inspired the purchase of another one:

rickyv63-1-w.

2. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I likes, a lot :D

PS- sent you a pm about a little price matching that might get it even cheaper!

3. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    Interested in selling that bad boy??? I'm looking for a Rick.
    Jack

4. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    nope. its a keeper. i sold my '66 4000/1M (basically the same as a V63) and regretted it ever since. i bought the '91 to try and give me back some of it's vibe, but that '66 was really special. i bought the '66 from my friend Fred Taccone (aka /13 amps) in 1975 and had it until a very rich someone made me an offer on it i couldn't refuse.

5. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

Dec 26, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That is beautiful!! I love it. Amazing how different the finish is from the normal FG 4003. Here's my 97 Fireglo...looking nearly brand new if I do say so myself.

ReasonandWinkler032.

ric004.

6. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    wow, that's a beauty!
    by the pics, looks like your's might be an 'amber' fireglo, where they added a little yellow to it.

7. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

Dec 26, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hey thanks alot! I love it. You know, others have said that about the amber fireglo,but they weren't doing that in 97 so perhaps mine has started to amber naturally. I guess in 13 years its possible.

I love your V63....if only...lol Those things look so hot!

8. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    Peace,
    I'm looking for a Ric. If you hear or see, let me know.
    Jack

9. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    Hi Jack,
    you can always get a new one. IME, the new ones are definitely great basses, and the 'vintage' or used oned don't come cheap anyway.

10. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    hey John,
    while I've got you online, let me pick your brain. Do you know if the new ones have thin necks? I'm a thin neck junkie which is why the Hofners really appeal to me. What do you think about this one? They have a used one, midnight blue for 171h 5.99.

http://www.music123.com/Rickenbacker-4003-Bass-513600-i1148169.Music123

It's gotta be thin neck though. I understand over the years the neck thickness has changed back and forth. Of course I'd need a case and the used probably don't come with cases.

11. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

Dec 26, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Jack, I've noticed you've been looking for one. I'll keep my eyes open! I don't think you'll regret getting one if you like the tone. It's quite different from my Hofner,but I love it just as much. I know some people don't like how Rics look,but they are the most beautiful basses IMO.

12. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    For you guys looking for a new Ric, get a quote from Pick Of The Ricks LLC for a new 4003 (which comes to about $1570 + shipping costs if I recall) and have a large online retailer match it. They give free shipping and will push the price to $1550, or perhaps better. I have a Fireglo 4003 on order for $1503 and change through musicians friend. :D

13. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    Peace,
    How would you describe the difference in sound?

14. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    Hi jack,
    $1715.99 is a decent price, and if you use one of their 15% off coupons, it'll only run you about $1459.00. most of the newer ones that i've owned/played have pretty slim necks, but they vary, like they always have, since they're pretty much final hand shaped. IMO, their necks are alot smaller than a fender. i had a 70's that had a big neck on it, but IMO, that was the exception, not the rule.

15. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    where do you get the 15% off coupon? Also, no case comes with it. Can you get a Rick case online?
    Jack

16. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    If you want to go through my method, for the same cost after buying case you could purchase a brand new Ric with factory warranty (which I admit is a load, after having dealt with them...)

...but it isn't blue going to be. :p

17. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i tried APRNEW15 in the coupon box and worked for me last night.

18. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    Pick of the Ricks are all 2000 dollars and more!

19. BEAUTIFUL Rickenbackers! I love my 4003 JG, wonderful bass! Hope yours is perfect, that price sure is great!

20. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    they're not after they email you the discount price.