Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just Ordered a Prunes And Custard

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AlembicPlayer, Dec 19, 2004.

1. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    Crowther Audio Prunes And Custard.

I'm hoping to cop a sound close to Stevie Wonder's " Boogie On Reggae Woman" from my bass. Am I dreaming?
    Even if I can't get that sound from this box...what can I expect from it?

the other FX I'm using are -
    EBS Octabass
    EH QTron
    SansAmp Classic (for distortion)

I'm thinking I'll be able to eliminate the SansAmp..

I've searched the web for sound clips without any luck. Even the search here turns up empty for sound clips. So I'm buying on a hope and a dream :)

any comments?

:bag:

2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    It's a strange box. I didn't like it when I first got it (so be patient), but I grew into it. It's almost like some of the sounds you can get from a microsynth, or maybe a microsynth crossed with a Rat. I find it doesn't so much distort my sound as replace it, although there's a mix pot to make up for that. But I like it a lot better than the microsynth -- it's reliable, and it doesn't need to track, and I think the sound is very high quality.

3. AlembicPlayer

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    thanks for the reply Yellow..interesting comments.
    I'm excited to try this thing after only reading about it..words only offer so much. I'll heed your advice and be patient with it. :)

4. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    so what exactly is this thing supposed to do?

5. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    It's more or less a distortion, but it has a synthy edge. Unlike a lot of fuzzes, it likes low notes.

6. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    I'd describe it as a grindy overdrive/fuzz type of effect with an envelope filter-ish effect added to it. It is very dependent upon touch and reacts differently with when you dig in, sort like a filter. I love mine, just haven't found a band use for it, yet.

Chris

7. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'll say about the same. I liked the sound when playing without other instruments, but never found a use for it in a band context... thinned out the sound too much to lay under a full band, IMO. It was OK as a high-register solo effect, but I didn't feel it was 'big' enough in the low registers.

8. AlembicPlayer

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

hmm..that seems to be a problem with using FX with the bass in general. I run a bi-amp system and I can route the FX to either the high cab only or the low cab only or both. If it thins out the sound too much, maybe it would be more effective just running it to the top cab...leaving the bottom dry. Or maybe the other way around with this particular effect.

thanks for the replies guys..
    I'm excited to try this puppy!!
    :hyper:

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Theres an updated version now with 2 switches, a lew freq contour and a bass/guitar switch. This version doiesnt have many of the 'thinning' problems found elsewhere in this thread.

I love mine.

10. AlembicPlayer

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I just got it...and man..this is the coolest box!
    WooHoo!! Just putting the battery in (which was included), you can see the attention to detail and the quality of this box. This is a high falootin unit!

It's like a creamy organic overdrive with a envelope filter. It's like a bass synth type of sound. It produces low harmonics under the fundamental.. it's just perfect for what I wanted. With the EBS Octabass and the QTron filter...I have the killer funk tones available. With so many options on how to run it thru my rig...I'll have to take some time and try it a number of ways.

I'm going to try and record some samples of it next week.

damn...so far, it's a keeper!
    :hyper:

[​IMG]

11. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Cool... good to hear there's an updated model. I liked the concept, may need to check out one of the new ones.

12. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Up !!

Do you know where I could get soundclips from this thing ? If someone who owns it here could do some, it would be kind of nive ! :smug:

13. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Where do you guys by these on the US side of the pond?

14. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    musictoyz, ebay etc...

If you're ordering from musictoyz.com, make sure you call them first to confirm they have it in stock