1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just ordered a set of Dimarzio DP123

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by badboy1984, Mar 16, 2008.

1. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Just made a order today on a set of Dimarzio DP123 jazz bass set today. Should arrive sometime next week. I hope these pickup go well on my Fender 60 RI jazz bass.

Also was wondering what type of string and gauge will be good for my jazz bass? I play mainly rock and gospel.

I currently using a set of Ernie Ball Slinky Regular 50-105.

2. Would u mind posting sound clips when the pickups arrive? i want to buy me too one of those :)

3. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    yeah i will post some clip when i fit them in :)

4. I don't see any questions regarding the pickups in there, but they will be great in your Jazz, although it will not sound "vintage" anymore.

rock and gospel: really 2 opposite styles imo, one calls for loud midrangey strings, and the other calls for flatwounds for a warm mellow punch. I would say any nickel plated roundwound would be a good compromise

5. I can't wait to here what you think of them as I am going to order them soon.

6. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Heres a clip of TB'er Dadodetres bass fitted with DP123's. The first 60 seconds of finger style.. Its a fabulous sound, and mine sound nothing like them.

I was really disappointed. This was the sound i was after, and why i bought the Model J's.

7. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    I believe that's a 70's pickup spaced Jazz like my MIA 75RI.

That spacing is very important to the sound .As I recall mine sounded like that with the Model J's.

I took mine off recently (replaced them with Wizards :)) because I prefer a more vintage tone.

8. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    I thought that clip of Model J's WAS a vintagey tone ? Do you not agree Kas ?

9. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    I'd say the model j's are darker than the ultra jazzes but still nowhere near the vintage alnico sound.

That clip was predominately back pickup and the "vintage" jazz sound to me is the attack of the note with both pickups fully on or thereabouts. Both different types of DiMarzio pickups are ceramic and dual coil and don't nail that sound for me.

10. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Just fitted my in today and they sound work great for me. Its not vintage sound anymore but i like the sound. Much more better output and the pickup ditch out more thicker deep sound than the stock pickup which i something i prefer. The sound is really punch and its like the bass sound is slap in your face.

I will do some sample this week and let me know what you think of the sound.

11. I love mine, by the way are your pots 250k or 500k? I haven't switched to 500k yet but I'm prob going to. At 250k they sound good for what you want. Strings-I use La'Bella Hard Rockin Steels, 45-105

12. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    my pots are 250k. I use Ernie Ball regular slinky string 50-105 nickel string.

But i planning to change them to a set of flats. I use labella deep flats but didn't like it on my jazz so i looking for something else atm.