Just ordered a set of Nordstrand Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Beefbass, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey everybody, I've decided to upgrade the pickups in my 1999 Fender MIM Pbass deluxe. I wanted to set this bass up for a vintage type of tone. I have Fender flatwounds on it .50-.100, because IMHO they give a great vintage thump.

I decided to go with a set of Nordstrand pickups. A NP4 split coil for the neck, and a split humbucking J type for the bridge. I should have these by the weekend, so I'll keep you guys informed on the end result.

For the record, I ordered these from Jay at Blueberry hill bass in Chicago. You know him here as JPJ. If anyone is thinking of ordering anything from him, but are not sure, please do it! Jay is a really nice guy, who will answer all of your questions. All I can say is, the experience was extremely pleasant-you will not be disappointed dealing with him, trust me on this!

Take care-I'll let everybody know how these turn out.
  2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I just received my pickups today. I'am looking to have them installed this weekend, along with a full set up (I switched back to the TI jazz flats)

Should have a review ready within a week.

Jay at Blueberry Hill bass was awesome to deal with BTW. IMHO, he treats people the way they should be treated, and I appreciate that. To me, that makes it, when deciding whether to deal with someone.

Lets see how this goes........ :)
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Cant wait to hear the review!
  4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey thanks, I can't wait to post it.

BTW, for about another 35 bucks, Jay sold me the NJ4SE for the bridge position. He said it will produce a vintage tone like the NJ4, except without the noise.

Get this-he wasn't sure if the bridge NJ4SE would fit the P/U rout, so he sent both sizes, along with a self addressed, stamped envelope. Hows that for service? I'm quite certain the bridge Nordstrand will fit regardless. But that was nice of him to do.

Somebody else here recently got a Nordstrand P/J set not too long ago-remember who that was? I want to see his review too. Just curious as to how it worked out for him.
  5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Ok, here goes the review!

Had the pickups installed today. I put the TI jazz flats back on, and had a full setup done as well.
    This bass sounds awesome! Roll the tone off, and you get a good, deep sound, with a lot of clarity and punch. Turn the tone up, and you get a good low-mid tone-lots of bite to it. It will have no trouble cutting thru a mix.
    The bridge pickup is the NJ4SE. This has a lot of clarity to it. Whether the tone is rolled off, or turned all the way up, it still sounds like it has a good bottom end to it. Playing it with a pick, it sounds a lot like the old Dano 6 string basses of the late 50's early 60's.

The tech who installled it knows Lindy Fralin. He had known Lindy since he started making pickups, so he knows the sound of Fralins well. He told me that these Nordstrands are quite impressive sounding, on top of being very well made. If you look at the stock Fender pickup compared to the Nordstrand, the Nordstrand blows it away construction wise no problem. I told him that the Nordstrands were made to go toe to toe with Fralins(I was told this by JPJ at Blueberry Hill bass)My tech feels that they most certainly do compare favorably with the Fralins.

I'am extremely happy with this bass now! It gets the old school Fender tone-way better than the stock "vintage style" Fender pickup did. If anybody here is considering the Nordstrand P bass pickup, I would highly recommend it. Get yourself a set, and never worry about being unhappy about your P basses sound ever again! A great pickup set-don't miss out.
  6. whatever

Jul 2, 2003
    It was me, I have been a bit lazy and have not had them instaled yet.
  7. whatever

Jul 2, 2003
  8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Originally, I was going to go with a NJ4 in the bridge position.
    But after I talked with Jay a bit, I decided the NJ4SE would work better. I like the hum cancelling pickup-this thing is dead quiet. The stock Fender single coil buzzed like crazy! I thought the extra 35 bucks was worth it.

I will saythis too-these pickups have quite a bit of output to them. I was really pleased to see that. They have a lot of output, with a lot of clarity.

I'm gonna do some recording with this bass later today. I'm going to compare it with recordings done with the old pickups, and let you guys know just how much of a difference there is.

Whatever-can't wait to see your review of these pickups. Let us know when you get them out in.
  9. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Well, did a recording session earlier this week. Major improvement over the stock Fender pickups. Whether the tone is rolled off, turned all the way up, or somewhere in between the clarity of these pickups is what gets me. No mush, or harshness IMHO. Just great tone, with a nice bottom end.

Also had a rehearsal last night with my new cover band. We are gonna do everything from Buddy Holly, to Weezer. I can get any tone out of this bass now-and this is with flatwound strings too! I'll admit, my Jazz with Ultrajazzes and XL roundwounds gets a better thumb slapping sound(hey, thats why i have it :) ) But the P isn't a bad sounding bass for this. It's just that I like the sound of roundwounds better for that.

Overall however, all I can say is, these are great P/U's Now, I don't know how they sound compared to Lindy Fralins, or an original 62 P bass. Never heard either one. Compared to the stock vintage style Fender pickups however-there is no comparison.

Thinking of getting these? Do it-you won't regret it! :hyper:

And Blueberry hill bass-great company. Highly recommend them. Thanks for everything Jay!
  10. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Congrats Beef. Any chance we can get some sound samples?
  11. Hey Beefbass, where on cape did you get the work done? was it at Charlies Music/cape cod pro audio? or is there some other tec around your parts? You know, i might have to come over and try that bass out when i get back in Hyannis. :cool:
  12. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Had it done at Bay Fretted instrument repair in Marston's Mills. He was doing a lot of the work for Charlie's music anyway, and he's a real nice guy.

A little off topic, but I don't do much with Charlie's, and neither does anyone else. Their attitudes towards people suck big time now, and they over charge a lot. Need more details, send me a PM, or email at Zeemoose619@aol.com.

When will you be back in Hyannis? Let me know.
  13. No, i totally understand about the people at Charlies, the people there are just nasty. Of the people who do work there I do like Eric Short, he is a good guy and an excellent guitar player who has sit in with my old band many times in the past.

What is this place in marstons mills you speak of? i have never heard of them before and i am very interested in checking them out.

As far as the next time i'll be in Hyannis, well, i'll be there most weekends but my girlfriend keeps me busy on the weekends since i go away to school and i dont see her for sometimes weeks at a time ;)
  14. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Eric is gone-he quit recently. The only other person there thats any good is Randy, and I'm not sure if he's still there either. Haven't seen him in ages.

Bay Fretted instrument repair is right off of rte 149 in Marstons Mills. He's been around a long time.

What was your old band? Mine was the Dave Harris band-old 50's rock, and country music.
  15. Yeah, Jay is a great guy...awesome customer service. I recently bought a Nordstrand P/J set from him, and installed them this past weekend. They sound absolutely amazing...warm tone, yet still nice and aggresive without being mushy...
  16. Well, almost 3 summers ago i played in a band named "jam and bread". We played at Harry's on main street hyannis on monday nights. Its hard to become a regular band there but our horn player was the bouncer there so we were able to get the gig. Too bad we played there on mondays...mondays never really draw a big crowd.
  17. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for all of the compliments, guys!!! :D :hyper: It really means a lot to me AND Carey to see that our customers are so pleased with what we're doing. I always send the feedback I receive to Carey, and we get a big kick out of making fellow bass players happy....not to mention the killer tone you get with the Nordstrand line of pickups. The response has been outstanding so far, and I'm glad to hear that everything has worked out for you guys (Beefbass, Almighty Bass, and others). ;)
  18. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    JPJ, I'll put it to you this way. Even though I was only buying a set of pickups, I got treated like I was buying a top of the line Nordstrand instrument.

These pickups are awesome! A fellow TB'er from new Hampshire has said that too-I don't remember his TB name though.

Oh, one thing-Carey's website says he has a new guy making the pickups now. Does that mean Carey no longer makes any of them himself? He only inspects them?

Either way, whoever made them-they are awesome!
  19. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Carey recently added some part-time help to assist him with the pick-up business (probably due to the fact that there's some guy in Chicago who keeps screaming "send me more....send me more!!!) :D ;) However, the line will be expanding soon to include 5-string jazz style pickups and possibly other models, and Carey will be winding these initial pickups to make sure that everything is perfect. Also, as you indicated, Carey reserves "final inspection rights" over everything that leaves the shop, be it a $4500 NSC or a $150 set of pickups. It's all about quality! :)
  20. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Well JPJ, the guy who installed mine has known Lindy Fralin since he started making pickups, and likes his a lot. Of the Nordstrands he said "those seem like really nice pickups! They definitely seem to be in the league with Fralins."

Almighty bass-tell us about the bass you have yours in. I have TI jazz flats on my bass, and use it mainly for the vintage thing. Gotta admit though; you can do just about ANYTHING on this bass the way it is. It is definitely my main bass now. Do you use rounds, or flatwounds? What kind of bass do you have them in? I just hope you're lovin yours as much as I do mine.

It is all about quality. I made the right choice, and I'am very happy with this bass now. You guys who may be undecided out there, go for these Nordstrands-you'll love em!