just ordered a Villex Pbass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Oct 14, 2006.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Payment went through today. It should be here Tuesday or Wednesday:D

2. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Patiently waiting your review....and so is my '74 P-bass with crappy old EMGs that are slowly dying. :hyper:

3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm hearing very good things about these pickups. I'm
    interested in getting your feedback.

4. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I can testify that couple of dead horses were revived with the Villex pickups. I am waiting for the next pair of pickups to install

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    FRB how would you describe their tone?

6. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Full, balanced and clear. Not leaving any frequencies out, but on the other hand they don't emphasize some frequencies over others. I have tried most of the pickups out there (check my basses to see what i mean) and Villex came to me as THE surprise.

7. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I use the open B quite a lot and in many recordings (with my Villex loaded basses) people mis-identify my volume swell of B with keyboards fading in (it's a thick, yet balanced sound)

8. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    wow quit a range of basses you have:D Have you used the Pbass Villex model at all?

9. slybass3000

slybass3000 Inactive

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    I'm waiting for my new 5 strings to be finished and I install a P-J on it with is passive pre-amp. I can't wait!!!!
    I did try a Modulus with those PU and I was impressed.

SB

10. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Not the P yet (maybe my Spector NS2 will receive a PJ after Xmas).

I am impressed that i do not need to engage any pre-amp to fine tune these pickups. Very few passive pickups so far have convinced me that they can translate the muscle, the sonic range and the authority of the bass guitar (esp the 5string) into a viable sound; Villex pickups are really there

11. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    how does the mid range knob work? Is it just cut or does it boost aswell

12. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    It's a cut only control. Very musical and very effective. It opens up the sound without making it weaker. Unless you hear the difference, it's hard to describe that (much more efficient in a musical way than an active mid-cut control)

13. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I have a couple of PJ sets that I've picked up, intending to use them in a couple of project basses. The projects have stalled, but I got to try them out in a couple of the basses, and that's a fair description of their signature.
    They will be used, and I'd love an EMG40 sized set for one of the 5's, and a (guitar) HB sized set for the XL2.

14. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    I've decided to revive an old P-bass with new pickups. The Villex seems good. Would it pair well with a Villex musicman-style pickup or would two P styles make more sense?

15. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    http://www.villex.com/pickups.html
    This might prove illuminating. When I spoke to William on the phone over a year ago he expressed a very strong preference for pickups with a narrow aperture, and didn't like parallel, ie spaced along the string, pickup elements.

16. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    just an update of things....the pickup came in today, and they look VERY well built. I should have them installed soon. I just don't know which value of stacked pot to use for the Vol/Treb controls:meh:

17. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    http://www.villex.com/wiring.html

18. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Any news on the installed pickup yet?

19. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Yes....what up? Whats with da pickups?

20. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    none yet. I should have it wired up next weekend

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021