Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just ordered a wizzy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bedrock, Sep 21, 2004.

1. bedrock

bedrock

Sep 6, 2004
    I just ordered a Wizzy 12" cabinet from Bass Central. I live in Pittsburgh, which has nothing in the way of bass stores, so I have not actually tried one yet. I based my decision on several factors: (1) I am not thrilled about tweeters as they seem to add an unnatural clack to my sound and the Wizzy has no tweeter but still has good high frequency response (on paper). (2) The Wizzy is extremely light and compact, yet has excellent frequency response and a high sensitivity rating (loud). (3) I have researched threads about the Wizzy on this forum and have found many positive reviews. I should be receiving the cabinet on Thursday and will give you my initial thoughts upon receipt of the cabinet. I will be running a Roscoe 5-string and a Fender Jaco Pastorius fretless bass through a GK 1001 head into it. I will be gigging with it on Saturday as well.

2. Do give us a review when you get it and also how it performs on Saturday.

Matthew

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Count me along for the ride. You've probably read my reviews already in previous threads, but I am curious to hear how you like it.

Tom.

4. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    The wizzy is a great cab. I'm very pleased with mine. It is a loud cab and sounds great. Good enough to give bottom support to a moderately loud band. One thing it won't do is handle tons of wattage. Its not like a Bergantino or Bag End where you can pump 1000 watts even though the cab is rated at 300. Pushing it with much more than the rated 250 watts especially with a bass boost and a low B will push the cab beyond its limit. You will have to be careful since your GK head will be putting 700 watts into that little brute. That being said, you don't really need alot of watts to get this cab very loud and it sounds much bigger than its size. I don't think there is much else out there that can do what this cab does at 30lbs.

5. hey bedrock,

have you ever been to pianos n stuff in blawnox? just wondering what you thought about it. i hear swissvale music is nice too, but that was coming from a drummer! :eek:

not sure what part of blitzburg you're from so maybe these stores are far from you.

peace,

furio

6. bedrock

bedrock

Sep 6, 2004
    I have been to both stores. Piano's and Stuff is decent, but they don't really sell any boutique brands; pretty much standard stuff. Swissvale has a very small selection of bass gear.

7. klorence

klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    had to chime in since i'm from pgh too.

agree - P-n-S carries all the standard stuff; that said, they are a great store & have always had terrific prices on everything.

swissvale, albeit smaller, carries some different stuff than P-n-S. got my bergantino, eden head, & pedulla there. also a great store.

i've been buying from both for over 20 yrs w/no complaints, other than i wish they both had more boutique gear! (got my dingwall from bass central :smug: )

8. very nice, my pittsburgh brethren!

bedrock, i look forward to hearing your thoughts on the new wizzy. after my usacg jazz is done, i'll be getting new amp equipment.

9. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    The two cabs I own these days are a Wizzy and a Bergantino HT112, powered by an old GK400RB or Eden WT400. The Wizzy without a doubt has the most sound per pound of anything I've used, and the way it's voiced (lots of midrange) makes it cut through. I've used the Wizzy/GK rig with a 5 string in rehearsals with a stupendously loud drummer (he's a hard hitter AND he wore those big industrial earmuff ear protectors) and cranked guitar/keyboard amps. Even when using octave, distortion, and envelope filter effects, the bass sound was loud and tight, though I don't think I could have gotten louder without blowing the speaker.

Just last week I took the GK/Wizzy rig (along with a 160 watt Carvin 1x12 combo fed by a preamp line from the GK) to an audition. The drummer had an enormous Ludwig double-bass kit; the guitarist had a 7 string, a Mesa Triaxis preamp and stereo tube power amp, and two Marshall 4x12s. Both his cabs were facing right at me, my rig was facing right him...and he asked me to turn down because he couldn't hear himself!

I've also had great results using the Wizzy with upright bass--full and loud, with plenty of bottom end and note definition. Also, because it doesn't have a separate tweeter the Wizzy's mid/high dispersion is better than cabs with tweeters---you hear the same balance of lows, mids, and highs wherever you stand. Be careful with feeding too much power to the Wizzy--it's worked fine with the 400 watts from my Eden, but I was careful not to push it too hard.

10. bedrock

bedrock

Sep 6, 2004
    My Wizzy arrived in the mail today. I briefly had a chance to plug it in and play. I started with my Jaco fretless. The first thing I noticed was that the tone was very focused, yet deep and thick. The bridge pick-up growled ferociously, yet there was not a trace of harshness to the tone. The notes sang clearly all the way from the low E string into the upper register. Next, I connected the Gk 1001RB amp to my Bergantino 210 cab. The volume drop-off was astounding. I had to double my amp's gain to compensate for the lost volume. This would be due to the fact that the Wizzy is running at 4 ohms while the Berg is running at 8 ohms. In addition, the Wizzy has a higher sensitivity rating. At equal volume, the Berg was noticebly more mid-scooped. It has brighter highs, and the lows seem quite muddy in comparison. The Wizzy's lows sound tighter and more defined. The Wizzy was way more articulate for fretless glissandos and had more back by the bridge bark. The Berg sounded kind of disjointed in comparison.
    Next, I plugged in my Roscoe 5-string. It had a very similar result. In my basement, the Wizzy just sounded alot more articulate and musical. For slapping, the Berg definitely had a more modern vibe, but I really hardly ever slap live. The real test will come on Saturday when I take it out on a live gig. If I could compare the cabinet with anything I have tried so far, it would be to an Ashdown 12" cabinet, only with a much more authoritative bottom end. I always loved the organic midrange of the Ashdown, but felt that the low end was lacking. I will give everybody an update on Sunday as to how the cabinet performed in a live situation.

11. Bedrock

Glad to hear that your first impressions are so positive. I will look out for your gig report with interest.

Regards

Matthew :bassist:

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    bedrock:

Glad you like the Wizzy! I look forward to hearing how this weekend's gig goes. What amazes me about the Wizzy is not only how good it sounds, or how light is is (which are both impressive in and of themselves), but that it does all that it does with such a seemingly simple and straightforward design. Funny, I keep comparing it to my VL-208's, which are close to the far end of the spectrum as far as simplicity of design is involved.

Tom.

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The real thing is that the Wizzy is a rather complex design. Whizzer cones have been around for a long time and were rather popular in the car stereo world (the old Jensen car speakers). They were, however, not known for being able to produce adequate results in MI applications. It is only because of the genius of John Dong (EA's speaker and cabinet designer) that EA could make use of the Whizzer cone idea. It is only because of his speaker design that the Wizzy cab is possible. You cannot buy an off the shelf Whizzer cone speaker and get the same results. On second thought, I guess the idea IS simple, but the application is very difficult.

This is the same for the Transmission Line cabinets. EA is the only manufacturer who can do this for MI applications. The design is so difficult. There has never been any computer models developed for TL speaker cabinets. This is a technology designed 50 years ago but that could only be put into application because of John's vision. This is a unique vision, by a unique individual. He is, BTW, also a really genuine and nice guy

Mike

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Here, here. John Dong is certainly one of the nicest people that I have had an opportunity to deal with in this industry, or any other for that matter. And he certainly does appear to be brilliant and innovative in his designs.

Your comments are spot on, Mike, and all part of why I love the Wizzy. It appears to be so simple, and yes, the idea itself is brilliant in its simplicity, but with many things, it's in the execution of the concept that the real magic occurs.

15. EAJohn

EAJohn Euphonic Audio

Dec 4, 2002
    I must give credit where it is due. Hugh McDonald, bassist for Bon Jovi helped me "voice" the Wizzy.

John Dong/Euphonic Audio Inc

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Really? That is quite interesting. Props to Hugh! Your voicing on the Wizzy is one of the most incredible things about it. I must say, that as much as I gush over the VL-208's, to me the Wizzy is even more impressive. If you look at (or lift!) the VL-208, even before you hear it, you're saying to yourself "This is a serious cab, with a lot going on, and with those 5 drivers, I'm sure it'll sound good." And then, of course, the VL-208 blows you away and surpasses even your wildest expectation. Then, you move on to the Wizzy. And you're saying to yourself "What a cute little cab!" So when you fire up that cute little, simple-looking cab, it's even more of a jaw-dropper.

Kudos to you, and Hugh (couldn't resist!)! FWIW, I always thought that Hugh was underappreciated as a player. He has a great groove going on.

Later, Tom.

17. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    Sounds like the perfect description of a good bassline. :D

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Indeed!

19. bedrock

bedrock

Sep 6, 2004
    Last night, I gigged with my new Wizzy for the first time. I plugged my Fender Jaco fretless bass through my GK 1001-rb amp. The room was a medium-sized banquet hall in a hotel. I used no PA support. My band is a seven piece wedding band and we play some jazz, motown, R&B, oldies, etc. I started with the e.q. flat and the bridge pick-up slightly favored. The first thing that I noticed is that I was setting my amp volume much lower than usual. We started with a couple of instrumental jazz tunes and I was astounded by the clarity of the cab. Not in a bright kind of way, but in that the lows were super tight and the mids really barked in a very pleasing way. The cab was super-sensitive to all my various techniques, such as vibrato, glissandos, and right hand placement.As the night went on, I switched to my Roscoe 5-string, and was equally pleased with the eveness from the low b string up to the highest frets. I tried adding some e.q. at various times, but I ended up always preferring the flat tone. With my other cabs, it always seemed like I was fiddling with the controls all night, but could never get the sound quite where I wanted it. After the gig, almost every member in the band commented on how great the cab sounded, and loading up was a breeze, thanks to the paltry 27 pounds that the cab weighs. I could not be happier with this cab so far, and it seems to have the voicing that I have been looking for that has been missing from so many of the modern high-end cabs.

20. Thanks for the review of your gig. Sounds like the Wizzy was a great success.

Regards

Matthew