Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just ordered an Epifani 310 UL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tophe07, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Tophe07

Tophe07

Feb 26, 2005
    After about a month of research and debating, I finally placed an order for an Epifani 310 UL. Gguitars.com has a killer deal for $999 with free shipping.

I'm extremely excited and I should have it by next week. I will post a review when I get it.

I'll be running it with an Eden WP100 pre amp into an Eden WT1000 power amp.

2. Sweet. I'd like to get one of the UL cabs to run with my T-410NYC.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oh crap...

that is a NICE cab. course my pair of 2x10's aint too shabby either... ;)

4. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Outstanding... I look forward to your review as I'm giving that one some serious thought. Particularly interested in hearing about other cabs you can compare it to.

5. pjhandlin

pjhandlin Gold Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    mgmadian, you have pm

6. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    hey joker,

You runnin' two Epi 210-ULs? Any chance you've compared the pair to the 310 UL by itself? I seem to recall that you used to have a 310 UL...

I just spoke with Nick at Epifani about this, he mentioned that the pair of 2x10 ULs would sound a bit bigger with more low end, mainly due to the fact that they have a greater internal volume than the single 310. Just curious if that's consistent with your experience...

7. Wow, my dream rig.... the WT / WP and Epi 310 x 2 :D .

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Fantastic!

I own an Epi 4x10 UL and love it to death! :hyper: Epifani really makes fantastic cabs. You'll be ecstatic!:D

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yup,

my old 3x10 easily held its own with a hammerin' 14x3.5 brass snare killin' drummer, and a 50 watt plexi. no doubt, the BIGGEST sounding "4x10" i've ever owned, bar none. even with my old Clarus, i had more than enough volume on tap.

later sold it to finance another purchase, and had long been lamenting the loss of that Epifani sound in my onstage rig. so, recently, finally got a chance to reclaim that sound again in a pair of 2x10's, and i couldnt be happier!

one Epi 2x10 weighs the same as most 1x12 cabs, and yet is waaaaay punchier, bigger sounding, and just as easy to carry. hook up two 2x10's, and look out! Nick had me sit in front of, and 5 ft. away from the pair with his 502 amp, and my hair was literally blown back! just a massive sound.

physically, a 3x10 fit in the back seat of my Accord just fine, tho it did take some jiggering. but waaaaaaaay easier than my Acme 4x10, which can be a total pain. but i will say that a 2x10 will fit in an NYC cab's trunk just fine, tho it didnt fit the trunk of my Accord.

btw, when i went to go pick up my cabs, Nick was more than gracious in making sure i was a happy customer. i was undecided on whether i wanted two 8 ohm or 4 ohm cabs, and he did his best to make sure i got what i wanted (went with a pair of 4 ohms). i know i'm not half the uber-techiqu-o player that usually walks into his shop, but he'll always make you feel like the only bass player in the city. :cool:

and another btw, the first real test of the Epi's will be at a big praise/worship conference up at Binghamton, where my friend's actually borrowing them, while i play guitar. should interesting to hear how they sound from the other side of the stage. then in two weeks i'll be the bassist at a Rutgers show, using the Epi pair along with my Epi preamp and DB728. i'll post back a report.

10. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Joker,
    I know it's kind of an "apples vs. oranges" thing, but I'd be interested to hear your comparison of the Epi 210UL against some of the other cabs you have, especially the AG Tri112L and the EA CXL 112.
    I'm especially interested your comparison of the rock bottom (B string realm) lows, the general tone of the midrange and the overal efficiency of each cab. Just wondering what you thought. Thanks!

11. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Nice choice of cabs. I have the 410UL and it's way too loud but in a good way. And I love the one handed lifting. Don't have to be Hercules to move it around!

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    any 2x10 cab will be waaay more punchier than any 12" loaded cab. with that said...

the AG was one of the bigger sounding 1x12's i've ever heard, bar none. but while its a massive sounding box, it doesnt quite cut like the EA or the Epifani. the EA, IMHO, has the most punch out of most 1x12's i've tried, but oddly not quite as big sounding as the AG. the Epi has more cut, where i can hear myself better, and IMHO was the best 1x12 i've used under live conditions. yet, both the EA and AG handled the low B much better than the Epifani, which farted out a bit.

the Epi 2x10UL, on the other hand, is quite the little revelation. it equals in weight to most 1x12's, and yet has lots of punch and cut, and handles my Low B with ease. i was a little worried about how it'd handle my near and dear low B, but so far, no farting, and no disappearing act on gig. my only niggle is that its a little bit bulkier than the AG or EA, cause while those two fit my Accord's trunk just fine, the Epi 2x10 did not. still, what a supremely cool cab for the little gigs.

13. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    When I first got my epi 112UL I was skeptical about its
    ability to handle the B. I think sometimes we forget that
    up until just a short time ago, we would never have been
    able to get near the volume and low end out of such small
    boxes. AAHH technology! When I was using an amp with lots
    of headroom (EA800, Woods Ultra) I had a hard time trying
    to make my 112UL fart out. I had more volume and lows than
    my old Bag End box with a 400 watt EV 15 could ever give.
    We should put this in context for those who have not used
    these newer "super" boxes.

14. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Joker,
    Thanks for the comparison on the cabs. I'm currently playing through two CXL112s and have really enjoyed the depth, punch and serious volume of these cabs. However, lately (especially since I picked up my Roscoes) I feel that I'm missing a little natural midrange warmth in my tone. I'm able to dial it in a little on my Demeter pre but I think I'm looking for something that sounds a little more natural instead of "forced" if that makes any sense. There are so many great cabs out there now it makes it tough.
    The EA's are fantastic cabs and it would take something seriously amazing for me to ever give them up. But, like all of us, I'm always looking and listening!
    Thanks for your help.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    no problem matt,

but i'm a little confused. are you saying that the EA cabs are lacking mids or have too much of the mids?

do you want something even more neutral sounding? if so, then the Epi's might not be what you're looking for. instead, the AG or Acmes might be more up your alley. or better, maybe even a powered PA speaker like a JBL EON, or equivalent Mackie cab.

16. pjhandlin

pjhandlin Gold Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Hey joker,

Can you report on the overall similarities and differences between one 210UL vs. two Acme B1's?? (power handling/loudness, depth, and punch/cut)

I have a pair of B1's myself and wonder what your impressions are.

Thanks,

Patrick

17. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Joker,
    My issue is not with the quantity of the mids (the EAs have mids to spare!) but with the quality. The EA's mids seem to "cut and project" rather than "bloom and fill".
    It's kind of like the garden hose sprayer that is dialed in for the concentrated single jet versus the more open spray pattern. Strange analogy I know, but it's the best I can think of at the moment.
    I've owned Acme (too inefficient), Aguilar (not enough mids), SWR (not my taste at all!), and of course now the EAs which I really, really like. However, I am very tempted to try the Accugroove and Epifani cabs, their 1x12s and 2x10s or maybe even a Whappo Jr. I know there's got to be a good balance of clear Hi-Fi and natural warmth out there somewhere!
    Just my thoughts and observations as usual.

18. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Matt
    I have an Epi 112UL, a 210UL, and 110UL. I like being modular.
    The 112/110 combo is very nice. The 210/112 combo is BIG.
    All three boxes seem to me to have different sounding mids.
    The lows and highs are similar with all three boxes.

19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Is anyone using either of the new epifani amps yet? I'm curious as to how they sound. Are they warm sounding?

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Pat,

still comparing. but the acmes are still the Low B king, and yet the Epifani's are fast becoming my new numero uno small cab. stay tuned in a few weeks as i'm gonna post up my findings.

Matt,

hmm...

then the Epi's might be more an upfront inyourface midrange. might have something to do with being made in Brooklyn. :smug: i actually think the Accu's might serve you well, too. nice sweet midrange, and great all around tone.

B,

woah, crazy collection!

emjazz,

i'm prolly a broken record, but i just got the Quest II preamp, and have tried the 502 at Nick's shop many a times. both are superbly clean, hifi, and again, like taking an Avalon U5 and slapping on a two channel EQ section. ;) warm is the furthest thing i'd say they are. rather, very open, airy, yet easy to dial in that punch. and oddily enough, with the mid cut switch, it makes my UL cabs sound just like the NYC cabs!