Just ordered another Millennia STT-1!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by prockenklang, Sep 8, 2005.

1. prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    I ordered another Millennia STT-1 for my second rack on Tuesday!!!

If you haven't tried one yet,you owe it to yourself to go check one out!!! They are amazing!!!! :hyper:

2. Very cool! That's one massively cool piece of gear. Let us know how you like it. I'm an 'all in one' head guy due to the one nighter thing I do... but man... that Millennia is the first preamp I've seen that is giving me 4 rack space envy! :D

Edit: Just noticed you said 'second'.... whoohooo! How does your 'first rack' differ from you 'second rack'.
  3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    John, you really are 'out there' in terms of gear.

Saying, "You have good taste in bass gear" is the understatement of the century.

I'm glad someone can do it.

I'd still love to hear either one of your systems.

Keep up the good work. :)
  4. prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    My main rack:Digital Music GCX switcher into a Millennia TD-1(main DI),into a Millennia STT-1 into a Meyer Sound LD-2 line driver.The mids and highs from the LD-2 go into a Eventide Eclipse harmonizer in stereo to (2)Meyer Sound UPA-1P powered 1x12 w/horn cabs and the lows from the LD-2 go to (2)Meyer Sound USW-1P powered 2x15 subs in mono.I also run right and left effects from the Eventide to the board with a dual Radial DI box.

My other rack:Another GCX into a Radial JD-6 6 channel DI(one channel for main DI,two other channels for right and left effects to the FOH),into the second Millennia STT-1 that I just ordered into another Eventide Eclipse into (2)Meyer Sound USM-1P powered 1x15 w/horn monitors in stereo.

I use a Digital Music Corp Ground Control Pro for controling the Eventides,for tuning(I don't plug my bass directly into my tuner because it degrades my tone),system muting,tap tempo,etc... My pedal board also includes a Peterson Strobostomp and (2)Ernie Ball volume pedals,one being used as a wet/dry volume and the other as an expression pedal.

5. Man, that's a rig... what type of stuff do you play... what venues/situations, etc.?
  6. I expect that he plays in more than his bedroom :bag:
  7. John gets his share of blame for the fact that I have indeed become a total Millenia-maniac (tm). In my case one STT-1 and one TD-1 is sufficient, but I do understand the burning desire to own more than one of each.
  8. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    You are preaching to choir my friend!

I finally used my STT-1 on a recording this past week and I am now even more in love with that piece of gear than I was before.

I had a chance to redo some older tracks that had been done using a DB680 directly into the board. The old tracks sounded good (and I do love the sound of the DB680) but the STT-1 tracks were, literally, night and day. We were doing some fairly aggressive rock stuff and I ended up using the STT-1 in SS mode with a hint of tube compression - and I played with a pick. The bass parts were absolutely huge sounding through the STT-1. I'm not using anything else - ever!
  9. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Can you describe the difference in sound between the two?
  10. And you good sir are not only preaching to the choir, but you're also one of the guilty ones! :)

So... huge thanks to you, John and Mark. :bassist:
  11. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Guilty as charged - but I don't regret it for a minute! ;)
  12. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    The DB680 is a very versatile pre-amp. I like them quite a bit - partly because I'm a fan of the Aguilar sound, which they definiltey possess. The DB680 has a really nice voicing that to me works fantastic in a rock setting. It also has a very flexible EQ section and a great sounding DI.

The STT-1 is a bit more neutral sounding out of the gate - well actually a lot more neutral sounding. The HV-3 pre-amp that it uses in SS mode is renowned for it's accuracy and transparency. The nice thing about the STT-1 though is that by adding varying amounts of EQ (tube or SS) and compression (again Tube or SS) you can really span the tonal spectrum. The other hip thing about it is the ability to drop a transformer into the circuit. The one that they use is purposefully colored but it's a really, really good color - particularly for aggressive playing styles.

I also like the EQ section of the STT-1 and the TD-1 more than any other EQ that I've used. It is so incredibly musical - it really is difficult to get a bad sound. And that is not usually the case with fully parametric EQ's.

I hope that is helpful.
  13. Totally agreed. For a rock setting, the DB680 is one great preamp. The shelving-type controls are tonally well-placed as are the boost switches. I find that it does tend to be just a little brighter than some other revered bass preamps, but it has all of the creamy low-mids and lows that you could want to dial in and pairs beautifully with the DB728. The simple footswitch is also well thought out with both mute and channel switching.

On the surface the STT-1 lacks some of the functionality of a purpose-built bass preamp... there are no footswitchable niceties for example. Remember that it started life out an extremely high end studio channel strip until bassplayers dicovered it's usefulness. I found that the descriptions used in various reviews really are quite accurate... "most invisible-sounding preamp I've heard.", "Imagine a psychic connection between your bass and your power amp" and "like having X-ray hearing". If you want to use this preamp set flat (and you may very well) then it will truly deliver exactly what you askof it!

But this is just for starters... from this point onward the Origin STT-1 is truly a tweaker's dream come true. The EQ section is the most flexible and well thought out imaginable. Want shelving? Widen the Q a bit? Need tubes with this (or with that)? Compression? Limiting? Audio transformer? Just drop in the various devices and their associated settings. All this is wrapped in a curvaceous piano-black front panel featuring a sexy (full-sized, backlit, useful, multifunctional) Selco VU... and did I mention the lights?

Okay, sorry... I couldn't restrain myself.
  14. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    The model number STT-1 stands for "straight to tape" and, after recording with one, I completely understand why. I'm starting to feel like I might need a second one as well so that I can leave one in my rack and use one for recording. :help: Although I probably need to work out an explanation for my wife on the first STT-1 before I buy a second one! :smug:
  15. Joel and oddio,

What settings do you find yourselves using with the STT-1 in a jazz environment? How easy is it to get an enhanced mids fingerstyle tone?

16. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA

How exactly are you chaining the TD-1 into the STT-1?

I really love my STT-1. It's clearly the best I've heard yet.

17. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I imagine he's probably using the TD1's XLR out to send a signal to the board and using the 1/4" direct out to go into the STT-1. That's what I would end up doing.

Is that correct John?

18. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I tend to gravitate towards the SS mode for a lot of what I play. My EQ is generally disabled with the exception of one band for a slight 3DB boost at 34hz. I don't need the boost but I've become so used to the boost switch on Aguilar gear that my ears have grown accustomed to it. Given my settings, I could just as easily use a TD-1 for most gigs that I do, particularly those where I don't need the compression option.

I use the tube mode and the tranformer when I'm using my tube power amp. It creates a huge, "larger than life" sound that is quite satsifying when played loud!

I hope that helps!
  19. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Sooo... does this mean your sending me your other one?
  20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    And here I was trying to make a commitment to slow down on the gear buying frenzy... :help: