Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just ordered d'addario flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by morf, Mar 14, 2006.

1. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Thought I'd give them a shot on my P Bass, compare them to the blue steels and rotosound roundwounds I have. What do you guys think? Positive or negative change? I'm looking for a round sound, thought these would do the trick...

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I love the D'A Chromes - a nice match with a P. They'll give you a nice old-school thump. Reports are that the Chromes are a bit brighter than some of the other flats on the market. Like most flats, they sound better/thumpier as they get older. It's not uncommon for people to leave the same set on for years.

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I recent put on a set of DAddario half flats that I love.

4. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Great, sounds like I made a decent choice. Thanks for the heads up.

5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    I've had a set on my P for about 6 months now. I want to try some other types (like TI and LaBella) since these are my first flats on a bass, but they keep sounding better so I don't want to take them off.

6. reggaeman

reggaeman

Jul 12, 2005
    SoCal
    I have used TI, Labella, AND D'adarrio. I do not like TI's at all. Crappy string guage, low output, and a sound that wasnt near what I expect out of flats. For a p and j bass I think the Labellas will be the best. I use chromes on my warwick. They seem to sound better and better each time I play them. Either way... you can't go wrong with Labella or D'adarrio.

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I put on some Chromes on my fretless yesterday. For the first few hours of play, they were making my hands all silver/grey. I had to wipe my strings with kleenex to get all the weird silver stuff off of them. They also left some of it on the fingerboard which I had to wipe off too. But besides that, they sound really good.

8. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    chromes are my most favorite of flats. just wipe them down with denatured alcohol before you install them and the residue from mfg will be gone.

9. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    K, Ive now had a few days to try these out, and they're truly mindblowing. I'm now definately a flatwound guy. These are great.

10. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i use them on my 2 fretless dan armstrong basses and my hofner 500/1 beatle bass. love em.

11. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Yeah flats rock, I prefer labella or fender, but I have yet to try the those. The best thing is the more you play them. A lot of people say they're dead, but I say they're not alive until you've played them for a couple of months.

12. Doodaddy

Doodaddy Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Wha'ts a "half flat"?

13. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    They're actually called Half Rounds by DAddario. :)

Look up their set ENR71. I love them.

14. Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Sounds intriguing. :)

15. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    If you ever decide to give them a try, MyMusicStuff.com
    keeps them stocked.

16. Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Do you have a picture of them? I'm about 95% sure I'm getting them. I'm way too curious. I would assume they're brighter than a standard flatwound?

17. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    No pics. Maybe at the website. I'll check DAddario.

But, they perform exactly as advertised - with tone In Between a flat and round. While feeling Great.

Excellent strings.

18. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    No pics at the DD website.

But here's the link for the description:

http://www.daddario.com/DADProducts.aspx?ID=3&CLASS=ACCA

and then, on their sliding scale of products they show
    them in between these:

XL170 - Bright - Wound
    ENR71 - Warm / Bright - Semi
    ECB82 - Warm / Mellow - Flat

19. Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Well, you sold me on them. And MyMusicStuff is around 5 bucks cheaper than everywhere else.

Thanks man. :)

20. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Now let me sell you more on MyMusicStuff. :)

Wait till you see how fast the strings arrive.
    The guy running that business - Knows how to run a business.
    You're going to be pleased.

Let us know what you think after putting the strings on.