Just ordered my Carvin!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Domino, Dec 12, 2000.

1. Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    I just ordered my new Carvin! I'm pretty excited to jam out on it. It's a Carvin LB70 4-string bass, awarded Editor's Best Buy, Top Tone, and Best of Show from Bass Player Magazine. I did lots of research on the web and couldn't find one bad thing about it.

Some options include...active electronics, neck through body construction, 24 frets, ebony fingerboard, hipshot detuner, dunlop straplocks, black hardware, tung oiled neck, rounded body edges, blueburst color with matching headstock, HC17 bass case, and J99 single coil neck pickup with HB2 Humbucker Alnico-5 Bridge pickup with coil splitter.

Now the waiting begins while they build this fine piece of equipment (8 weeks...ugh). I guess the Yamaha RBX460 will get me by, but I want my new baby!
  2. Sounds nice! Be sure to tell us how you like it. I'm thinking about getting a Carvin bolt kit and I've heard a lot of good things about the company.
  3. Congrats! I think you will really love it. I have a walnut LB75 fretless, and it is a very cool axe. Great sound. I have the same pickups you ordered, and I think they give a much wider range of tone than th two jazz p-u's. Enjoy.
    The wait is the worst part, but it will be worht it.
  4. "worth" it even. D'OH!
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've spent a fair amount of time hanging out at the Carvin factory, and I'll guarantee you won't be disappointed with your instrument. Their fit and finish are spectacular. The sound is great, too. No, I don't work for them, and I don't own one, but I've seen and played a lot of them. Guarantee: If you don't want this bass, I personally will buy it from you at a ridiculously low price.
  6. I have owned my Carvin LB-70 (Lefty) for about 18 months now. I also own a new Fender Deluxe Jass Bass. I prefer the Carvin. It plays better, sounds better, and the ebony fretboard is effortless. You will not be disappointed. Also, Carvin's customer service is second to no one. Need a professional set-up after a year, no problem, and no charge. This is one of the best companies to deal with and their products are superior. Good luck. . .
  7. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    hmph.... my Salas has a Ebony Fingerboard and I didn't pay anything extra for it.. o_O my bass was $919..
  8. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Congrats. I've had my LB75 for a couple years now and I love it.

Let us know how you like that pickup combination -- especially the J99 in the neck position. I'm guessing the single coil will be a little noisy, but I'd like to hear what you think (I've got the H50N J-style stacked humbuckers on mine and they are super quiet).

9. Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    the ebony is standard on the Carvins too....

I debated for a long time about the J99 vs H50Ns. I wanted that humbucker, and I've heard people go with the J99 with HB2 to get a wider range of tones out of the beast. Hopefully it won't be too noisy. My band is recording a CD and I'll be layin it down with this Carvin.
  10. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    I ordered my LB75W with abalone inlays, gold hardware, and the Bunny Brunel neck. Should arrive around Xmas. Can't wait. I have kicked a ton of tires in my search for a bass. IMHO, Carvin offers far-and-away the best boom for the buck. Their craftsmenship puts Fender to shame. Truly. I own Fender, Gibson, Peavey and Hartke stuff (guitars and amps). Once I discovered Carvin, I started buying. I now own a Carvin AE185-12 (semi-hollow electric 12-string), Carvin Bel Air 212 Vintage Series tube amp, a Carvin RL1018 bass amp stack (1000 watt head, 4x10" cab, and a 1x18" cab). The LB75W will complete my set-up. BTW, the Carvin bass amp stack is AMAZING (only $1299). It's far better sounding than my old Ampeg, and built better than SWR. It may even give Eden a run for the money in terms of sound and build-quality. Is the Carvin perfect? Of course not; nothing is. But I'm very satisfied.
  11. John Weigel

John Weigel

Aug 19, 2000
    A friend bought an LB90 Koa in '87 and brought it to a boogie party. He remarked the other day that "in every picture I took you were playing the Carvin." This fall I finally got my own LB20 mahogany. Love it! Light weight, great sound, terrific neck. It's a real California hot rod: no gold, no flash, just mahogany, including the headstock. I have mostly played Jazz basses (and this one has the single coils, by the way) and an early Music Man and a Les Paul bass, and this one is the best. Why did my friend just tell me the other day about the party? Because he drove 150 miles to come check out the LB20!