Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just ordered my Shuker Electric Upright!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Si-bob, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Hey all, am real excited as just yesterday i went to Jon Shuker's workshop in Sheffield (UK), chatted and spec'ed out my Electric Upright Bass. Hurrah.

The specs as it stands are:

African Walnut Body/Neck
    36" Scale
    4 String
    Ebony Fingerboard
    Fretline and dots on the board edge
    Two way truss rod
    Imbuya Burr body and headstock facing
    Schertler Microphone transducer system
    Polyester/Satin Finish
    Black Hardware
    Thomastick Strings

I'm real excited and can't wait to get the prelim pictures of the build. Will be sure to update this thread as-and-when.

Si

2. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Wow, that sounds great! I'm looking forward to seeing pictures. Are the fretlines and dots on the edge going to be white or something less pronounced?

Marshall

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Good stuff! Keep us updated.

4. they're going to be white i reckon, coming from the bass guitar i don't think theres any need to 'prove' myself to the upright community by not have pominant lines. No need for an ego boost etc. :)

Will upload the 1st pics asap, i reckon it will be a couple of weeks.

Am so excited, waited a long time for this :hyper:

Si

5. Ah, that's going to be a beaut... you're a lucky lad.

I would think long and hard about the fretlines, though! Side markers I understand, but you might regret the fretlines as you gain confidence. IMO, of course! :)

6. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    The thing to remember about fretlines is that they're no guarantee. There's a lot of room to be out of tune even if you're right on the line. You'll find you have to use your ear all the time anyway and the fretlines could confuse you after a while. I'd rethink it and if you need position markers get the ones on the side.

7. Sorry, didn't explain it very well, the fretlines and dots will only be on the side of the neck, the front of the fingerboard will be unmarked.

Si

8. Ah - panic over... :D

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Why 36" scale?

To me - an EUB should have about 42" scale for a real upright sound...?

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Let me suggest, with no animus toward anyone, that there's no point in opening up that old lines-vs-no lines debate in this thread. si_bob's already made his choice anyway, so let's just be happy that he's getting something he wants, from a maker that, as I have personal reason to know, does a great job.

11. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Sounds great. I loved the white side fret markers on my F bass fretless! I actually think something darker could be too subtle and defeat the point anyway...was only asking because I know some people do it and was wondering how they like it. No derail intended.

Post pics when you can!
    Marshall

12. Bruce,
    I agree that a 42" scale EUB will probly have more of an "upright" sound (although jon said this is not always the case, many other factors etc). The reason y i chose 36" is simply because of logistics, with being at uni and doing a fair few gigs in london where i train it in, i felt the 36" would be a bit easier on that whole process. I intend to, when my life is a bit more settled, to own a full double bass.

Si

13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Si Bob,

Is the FB going to be radius'd like a NS EUB?

14. Bruce Lindfield

Well.....hmm.... I don't see how an extra 6" is going to make it that much harder to transport....?

15. Bruce, the body on the 42" scale upright was a lot longer then that of the 36", probly about 7" longer, adding to the overall length, while the increase in weight was significant (i'm not a big guy :) ). Again, i don't feel the need to have a full scale bass just to appease the upright community, i ordered what i felt would most comfortable and appropriate for me at this time.......as long as i can bow it, i'm happy :).

J-raj, I'm not sure how the NS fingerboards are shaped, but the Shuker Website states that his uprights are fitted with a "True Upright Fingerboard", i believe he orders them in pre-made, and then adjusts them to fit the bass in question.

Si

16. Si, great to hear you've decided to take the plunge with the EUB! i'm sure this thread will only add fuel to the already rageing gas i'm having for one of these basses!

look forward to pics

Tom

17. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Congratulations. No need to appease the bass community but the comments suggested here are really just meant to help out.

One more thing to consider is that a 36 scale instrument is really a bass guitar length (My Fodera is 36). If that's what you want, by all means go for it and enjoy it fully. The problem is if you're going to own a double bass in the future (as you state), a 36 scale instrument is not going to help you in any way to prepare for the Upright. My feeling is if you're getting an EUB with the goal of moving to an upright, you'd be better served by having the EUB be in the ballpark length of an upright (40.5 -42). I'm also not a big guy and have carried my Knutson Messenger around for 13 years on trains, boats, planes etc. ect. A 36 inch scale EUB is like those Zeta crossover basses which IMHO do not help to crossover at all. The upright and EUB is a different animal and one of the things that's different is the string length.

This is just my opinion and whatever your choice, be happy with it, but if your intention is to move to upright, a longer string length now might save you a lot of relearning in the future. ;)

18. Bruce Lindfield

I've already had this argument!! ;)

19. Well I picked up my Bass from Jon last weekend and it everything i wanted it to be and more... a few fine details but they are mearly niggles... playabilty, sound and construction are second to none...

http://www.bassviews.org/showlisting.cgi?lid=291

Check it out for urselfs... ill be getting better pictures very soon maybe even tonight (if i dont collaps for a 12hr shift hehe)

20. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Nice one! I particularly like the wood on the back of the body.

Just curious: did you ask Jon for a different shape on the upper horn, or is he doing them all that way now? I ask just because the shape looks different from the two I have.