Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just Ordered my Strunal 5/20!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BassGreaser, Jun 24, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Is there anything I should look out for with these basses

2. That model has a carved top, so you need to treat it the same as a fully-carved bass.

In a nutshell, don't expose it to really low relative humidity, and don't drop it. Those can cause cracks in the top,

You MAY get cracks in the top, especially over the first few years, even if you don't do anything special to cause it.

That's the down side to carved basses, and hybrid basses share it, though to a lesser extent.

1.) The bass will probably be louder and have better tone than any new all-plywood bass with comparable setup done on both.

2.) Carved tops generally take to plain gut or other low-tension strings a little better, because they aren't as stiff as plywood tops. They respond to vibrations more quickly and it takes less vibration to get them moving air inside the bass when you play a note.
    A visit to http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=san+diego,+ca shows me that your relative humidity is sitting at 68% right now. (1:30am your time).

If you live in Southern California (aren't you in San Diego?), you shouldn't have problems with humidity. You can visit that URL often and keep an eye on how your humidity tends to run.

About 40%-50% is ideal, but too humid is better than too dry.

You might want to invest $15 in a hygrometer, and see whether your air conditioning is drying out your indoor air too much. You don't have enough of a winter in SoCal to worry about your heating system drying things out much.

If you take the bass to some kind of Folk or Bluegrass festival, you can't just throw it on a luggage-dolly and take off down a dirt road or bumpy path, though it WILL stand more of that than a fully-carved bass, thanks to the plywood back & sides.

If you drop it on it's back, it may shove the soundpost up against the face hard enough to crack it, where a plywood top wouldn't crack, though such a fall would probably break the neck of any bass.

Just in general, treat it a little more gentle than an all-plywood. Not as gentle as a fully-carved bass, but moreso than an all-plywood.

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Ahhh good old Larry Thanks for the info VERY helpful

4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Congrats on the purchase. Where did you get it from? Did you get a chance to try them out first?

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I ordered it from Music123. There are not any places around me that carry Strunals or any good bass for that matter all cheap pieces of.....I did get a chance to play a swingmaster this past weekend and liked the sound. SO I thought "hey why not get a hybrid strunal it should sound better than an all plywood"

6. Darth_Linux

Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    did you get the traditional finish or the "washed" finish?
    I'm getting the 5/20WE in Februrary of next year, can't wait!
    let me know how you like it when it comes in.

7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Darth_Linux what is the 5/20WE....I'm getting the traditional finish on mine

8. Darth_Linux

Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    they have them at Shar Music for about $100 more than the regular 5/20. It's a "aged" looking finish that they do with some kind of staining 'wash'. It isn't just an even color, but more like what you see on >100 year old basses. I've got the new Shar catalog and that's how I found them.