Just ordered my Warmoth!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Jan 17, 2002.

1. I just ordered the body for my first Warmoth bass!

I got a swamp ash P bass body with rear routing and a P+J pickup configuration. I'm going to do a natural finish with a wipe on poly coating.

I will order the neck next week from the thrift shop.
    They said the body will take several weeks to complete.
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Cool! Please post pictures at some point. Have fun!
  3. There is a beautiful wenge/wenge neck in the thrift shop, may have been a jazz though.
  4. I changed my order to regular routing with a pickguard. I also plan to do a clear gloss finish instead of oil. I ordered my finishing supplies from www.reranch.com.
  5. I put together a Swamp Ash P bass from Warmoth's thrift shop and finished it as a natural using materials from Guitar Reranch. The project was fun and the bass is a beaut. My project P is nice and light weight. That's Swamp Ash. I did spend almost $70 with Guitar Reranch, but that's the way it has to be. I suggest following the advice given and not skipping any steps. If you call for help, Bill answers the phone himself and sets you on the right path. The finishing process was the most challenging part of the project, but the results are excellent. I, myself now even feel qualified to offer some advice, so if you have any questions you can ask right here.
  6. Thanks Rick!

Did you finish the neck yourself? I was planning on taking that on as well.

Do you have any pictures?
  7. I used a neck that I got on eBay. It's a maple/maple P style neck of unknown origin. "Magic Dragon" sells tons of guitar and bass parts on ebay and he's a very dependable guy, but he doesn't want to say where these necks are from. I have these necks on both of my project basses and I'm very happy with them. They come finished except for the headstock, so I didn't do anything to them except put my own custom decal on. The nut is really nice and solid and the fretwork is near perfect on both of them. They rarely need truss rod tweaks and the best part is, I got them for right around $70 each. They are a little fat like a P bass neck would be, but I'm used to that now. They look good too. I want to post pix of both of my project basses, a P and a J, but when I take the photo using my old Nikon with the flash, the photos are washed out. I'll try again, cause I'm real proud of these basses and I want to show them off to you guys.
  8. Point two table lamps at the bass, one eye level one above your head a bit. About 4'-5' apart. Use 400 ASA film, and then position yourself with the camara where you don't get a reflection from light. also a solid background not too much lighter then the bass helps, don't put a black bass against a white wall. Something like this, course that was taken with a pro set up but just to give you an idea.
    90% of getting a good pic is lighting.

9. Dem's purdy pipes!;)

10. Yep, durn neer as purdy as mi dogg! :D
  11. Should I use the camera's flash?
  12. No, a couple of 40-watt bulbs is more then enough and it won't wash out the color. if they are too bright go with lower wattage or drape a white handkerchief over the bulb ,this helps disperse the light and make it less stark , BUT DO NOT LEAVE THE CLOTH ON THE BULB IT WILL BURN. You can also move the lights farther away or closer. You know you’re too close and too bright when shadows are too sharp.
    Most of this info lets U pretty much leave the camera on automatic, there are other things U can do depending on the camera U have. But for just taking Still life its easier to work the lighting and much easier to explain.