Just out of curiosity

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Do you get Tube power amps ?

I mean just the power section of say an SVT II or a Mesa 400, something like that, thats just a single unit power amp ?

Sorry, im a bit bored :help:
  2. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
  3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The only ones that I know of that are still in production are the Augilar one (though possibly not for much longer) and the Demeter one.
  4. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Matamp makes a 200w slave unit as well. Tube power amps are heavy and expensive and even though they offer killer tone lots of people don't think the tones justifies spending at least $2,000 and lugging around a 50lb 4 rackspace unit.
  5. cool, i assumed they'd be out there, but i never think of looking on US shop pages, i just look at the UK ones, out of habit, and not many uk companies sell agular stuff and none of the places i looked had that

cheers guys
  6. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Demeter makes the VTHF300M which is IMHO one of the best poweramps you will find for a bass rig. It's actually designed for pro-audio use but it makes the perfect complement to any bass pre-amp. A bit heavy but so worth it!
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Whenever I feel like my DB 728 was too expensive, I just look at the Phil Jones T-500. :p

If you also consider used tube power amps, you have the Mesa Boogie Strategy 400 and 500, as well. The Strategy 400 uses the same type and number of tubes as the 400+ head, but it is a stereo amp (2x150w), versus the 1x300w 400+ head.