Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just out of curiosity...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RAM, Jun 21, 2000.

1. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I recently obtained the EBS Fafner and the matching 4x10" cabinet. Wow, is about all I can say about this stuff. It really is incredible!

But, my question to you is that when I made this purchase, I didn't have a chance to try out some of the others on the market, specifically Eden, Aguilar, and Demeter and maybe a few others also.

What do these sound like? What are your opinions of these? I know them by reputation, of course, but that's about it...

I just wanted to see what I missed. Thanks for your help!!! [​IMG]

2. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    This week I tried and bought a used Groove Tubes preamp at Guitar Center. It was cheap, and I needed something immediately, as my Hartke head went down last Saturday.

For fun, I also tested out a Demeter VTBP preamp. I used my Carvin bass, QSC PLX 3002 power amp, and the store's Mesa 4X10 (don't know which model).

The Demeter was warmer, cleaner, punchier,richer and fatter than the GT, or just about anything else I've tried in the past. No matter how much I tweaked the GT, it's basic sound is a little thin and blah. But like I said, I needed something cheap - NOW.

But here's the thing: As has been mentioned many times before, the Demeter's passive controls are limited. I really couldn't get enough lows - no matter what. I'm not that familiar with the Mesa stuff; Could the cab have been part of the problem? (It was on the floor - not stacked or on wheels)

The new "H Series" (which the store didn't have) has a 2 band parametric. I THINK the freqs it covers are 40-440 Hz and 440-4Kz. Can someone verify this? Can someone who has tried THIS model please tell me if the tone flexibility is a huge improvement over the old Demeter? Also, how does the basic sound compare to Aguilar (which I like) and Kern (which I don't)?

Thanks,

Bob

[Edited by Bob C on 11-09-2000 at 04:12 PM]

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The GT preamp was built for them by SWR, it's really an SM-400 minus the power amplifier section. It's only got one tube (12AX7 used for the first two gain stages) vs. all tube like Demeter, Aguliar, Alembic or Kern.

4. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Yeah, I know that. I really don't plan to hang on to the GT very long. I'm considering ordering a Demeter H Series - IF the parametric provides a noticeable improvement in flexibility. I had to run the lows at about 3/4, and the mids and highs at about 1/4 to make the Carvin sound good, and it still needed a little more "oomph". I know - "Get a new bass..." But I'm working on the preamp right now.

By the way, is it pronounced "DEM-u-ter", or Du-MEET-er"?

[Edited by Bob C on 11-10-2000 at 12:42 PM]

5. By the way, is it pronounced "DEM-u-ter", or Du-MEET-er"?

Neither. De-MEET-er. Demeter was a Greek goddess who ruled over the harvest. According to the mythology, fall and winter occur when her daughter Persephone has to live in Hades for five months of the year. Demeter is sad and the plant die.

6. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    To me, "du-MEET-er" is the same as "de-MEET-er". My keyboard doesn't have the schwa symbol, which the dictionary would use.

I'm not sure the name came from Greek mythology, though. I heard it was the company owner's last name.

At any rate, my real question was about the eq. Anybody out there?

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Whichever. Doyle Dykes and I say DE-meter. (Short E sound.)

8. maestrox

maestrox

Oct 8, 2000
    ummm...while the discussion of Greek gods was interesting, I believe the amp is named after James Demeter...the guy who designs/builds it.

And I think the correct pronunciation is DEM-eh-ter. At least that's the way I've heard it spoken at shops that should know (like Westwood Music).

9. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    YO RAM U REALLY AIN'T MISSING NOTHING TRUST ME,U GOT A FAFNER HEAD & CAB MAN THAT'S WHAT I WANT.I PLAYED ONE AT LA BASS EXCHANGE AND IT WAS SMOKIN.I'M AMPEG SWR RIGHT NOW, USED TO BE EDEN BUT HAD TO SELL IT.U GOT GRADE A STUFF.I
    LOVED MY EDEN GEAR WT 300 AMP & 210XLT CAB COLORFUL SOUNDING BUT SWEET SOLID STUFF.RIGHT NOW I'M PLAYING A AMPEG B2-R U CAN TELL I'M ON A BUDGET BUT IT AIN'T BAD AT ALL I'M STILL GETTING USED TO IT.IF ANYBODY'S FAMILIAR WITH IT LET ME KNOW THANK'S.GOT A SWR GOLIATH 2 410 CAB USED FOR 300 THAT FUNK'S,SO FOR RIGHT NOW I'M COOL.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Damn...forgot to wear my plugs on that last post:(

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Starr, thanks for the words! I appreciate you letting me know...Unfortunately, due to some unforeseen circumstances, I've decided to place my rig for sale...not because of the quality or the sound...just because of personal commitments...

On an unrelated note, you might consider not using capital letters for an entire post. It is kind of like yelling at someone, but over the internet.

12. maestrox

maestrox

Oct 8, 2000
    I figured he was just shouting to be heard over his rig...

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    LOL :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

14. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    sorry did'nt mean too yell.

15. Skip

Skip

Mar 22, 2000
    Bronxville, NY
    Its OK. Here read this. It is the "Getting the most out of TB" thread that was the "housekeeping" thread. It explains what TB is about. You'll feel better after reading it.

:cool: