1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just passed an audition (advise)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Sep 18, 2008.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    So I just came from an odd audition. I was supposed to download 5 of their songs, learn them for tonight, and go audition.

Well I didn't download them, but I did write up the lead sheets. So I went in blind having to play songs I've never heard (originals) I told them upfront, and told them I'd wing it.

So after some odd looks, we played everything once, then went through it once more after. Then they asked me if I wouldn't mind playing another 5 songs of theirs without lead sheets. I didn't have much of a choice, so I did.

They seemed pleased enough, and they asked me if I dug the music. So I passed the audition.

Now here is the odd part. They're going on tour in a month and I'd have to learn another 3 dozen songs (their entire setlist) The tour is a miniature northeast tour that finishes up in Montreal. I need a passport.

This is a bit of a hassle for me, but the gigs are paid.

Do I take my chances and go on tour and get a passport?

Or should I pass it up and look for something more local?

Opinions?

2. Equin

Equin

Aug 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    It's up to ya. If you can stand the touring lifestyle and afford the time away, jump on it. If you want to be more stable and go home after every gig..don't tour!

3. If you don't have a ton of commitments at home, I'd say do the tour! Sounds like a fun experience!

Btw, how did you write up charts without even listening to the song? That's a talent I wish I had... psychic lead sheets....

4. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I got the text files of the songs as well as a link to download the music. But the website was constantly busy.

I wish I had psychic lead sheets.;)

5. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Taking the gig or not is one question - too many unknowns to answer it here.

BUT - why should the Canada thing influence it at all (unless you just don't like Canadians - which is a bit unfair... their pretty innocuous.) What's the big deal with going to Canada?

What you SHOULD do is get a passport anyway. What if it had been a gig you REALLY wanted, and they were going next week?

6. lm183902

lm183902

Aug 19, 2007
    Denver, CO
    To be honest, I don't think you can get a passport within the next month - I'm pretty sure a takes a few months at least. But, if you can get it, this seems like a pretty cool experience. If it were me, I'd go for it.

7. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    That reminds me, I need to renew mine.

Every musician should have a passport. You just never know. Even if you don't take this gig, go ahead and get one.

By the way, esp. if it's work-related, you can get a passport quickly (2 weeks). It costs a little extra, $60 I think, but it's definitely feasible.

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I think I'd do it.
    You get to see places, you'll get heard by loads of people, you'll get to see the touring life etc.
    I guess such a thing can be a rather valid investment in the future- and a lot of fun. Especially as it's paid.

9. Do it. Montreal is a wonderful city, and the tour will be an awesome experience.

10. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    The one time I went to Canada, I enjoyed it. Probably be a little colc.

11. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    You can request expedite service I think you need to pay + $ 60 usd, you will get it within two weeks.

12. Definately do it. Next time you blink you'll be 40 with kids/wife/mortgages and you won't be able to do it.

13. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    yes, there is expedited service on passport. Takes about 10 days. Costs $100 or $120 I think. Our drummer just got one that way when we booked a gig in the Caribbean that's happening next week.

14. makaky

makaky

Mar 26, 2004
    Montreal Canada
    Montreal has the best looking women in the world and in numbers !!!

You wont regret it ;)

No im not preaching for my hometown, its just a plain fact.

15. makaky

makaky

Mar 26, 2004
    Montreal Canada
    I dont know how it works in the US but if youre willing to pay extra, you can get it in a couple of weeks in Canada. Thats if youre situation is flawless, i.e no criminal record and stuff

16. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
  17. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Looking into getting that passport on Monday.

I'm against Canada because if I want cereal, I don't want to find a bag opener.

But in all seriousness, my reservations about Canada isn't so much that its Canada, but that its pretty far from NYC and I'm also a student.

Forgot to mention that bit.:p

18. Class is way easier to miss than work, imo. I say go for it. Has your semester started yet? Why not take a leave for the semester? Or if you've started, work something out with your professors. They're usually understanding.

19. GO FOR IT!!!!!!

don't let this great opp pass you by

20. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    uk
    I AM 40s kids/wife/mortgage...and i'd do it.

otherwise youll be thinking 'what if?'...thats no good.

BTW you REALLY look like dave vanian of the damned
    (just thought i'd mention) ;););)