1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

just perfect... IMHO(YMMV)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OldogNewTrick, Dec 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    Christian Mcbride playing his Pensa Fretless through his Glockenklang Soul / Epifani 410-115 rig.

Just perfect, IMHO, of course YMMV...

:bassist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfPZX1feP8w

Never thought the Soul head and the Epifanis go that well together.
    Of course it helps to play like Christian Mcbride....

2. warswr

warswr

Oct 21, 2006
    It sounds okay...

for me I like the sound to be much fuller, especially the bottom. Nice tight bottom. But very cool video and song.

3. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I don't know.
    I really don't like that tone at all.
    I'm not a fan of that gibberish jam stuff.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I haven't even listened to the clip, but equating Christian McBride with "gibberish jam stuff" - well, that doesn't seem very likely to be true.

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Who is the drummer?

Metheny gets a bit too notey, and I don't think McBride's tone is anything special at all, but I like the drummer.

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I think McBride's tone if fine for that group. It's him. I like it when he hits solo time with a tad bit of chorus and subtle envelope filtering.

The drummer is Antonio SANCHEZ {the name in the title of the vid, dig? ; } - who was with Metheny for SPEAKING OF NOW LIVE. He's nice there too : }

EDIT: Notey? Jeez, actual ideas and development seem to be behind all his execution. I guess it would be if this was a barre chord band ; }

7. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    Thanks for all your posts - unfortunately, the youtube streaming format gobbles up most of the sound, pity - the original file is a lot better. :meh:

I'll continue the thread here

his Pensa fretless just sounds like a fretless is supposed to.
    actually, I think, that's how bass is supposed to sound :cool:
    - what contributes to that sound ?
    the single coils ? (vs. humbucking soapbars?)
    the maple fretboard (vs. ebony?
    the strings - are those roundwounds or not ?

his playing (technique, time and feel) is just so right.
    Anything different and it'll be worse.

And his rig sounds much better than his previous ones.
    I've watched him play through an Ampeg setup, warm but muddy. Then I've seen him play an all Epifani rig, which he still endorses, but its too clean, nearly sterile, now the combo of the Soul head with the Epifanis combines warmth and precision.
    His playing and his bass come across great.

All the above, IMHO.
    As the posts have shown, YMMV :)

8. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    To me that sound is not good. I've heard clips of TBers who just got a new hi-end pair of 12s and some cool head and then it sounds like this. This is the sound you get when you don't get your sound out of a rig. Most rigs sound like this without tweaking. I hope rigs sound good with no tweaking. Input level matching can be a cause like to much pre or not enough and some can be traced to the setup of the bass. Or the wrong string gauge or metal type for you.
    Christian McBride is an excellent musician and his upright work shows it.
    Anyway, I've heard this same tone from bassists using every kind of gear. Epifani to SVT. New and old. Every music style. I am saying this because I think some bassist are settling and not investigating what makes good tone.
    I've heard many cover bands where the group is covering an late 60's or 70's tune and everyone in the band has the sound except the bassist. I've seen bassists go from old gear to knew and it sounds exactly like this clip no better or worse. As distinctive as all this gear can sound we need to look to the player and the actual instrument setup. Is the action too low to get good tone. Are the Pickups too close? Are the instrument and speaker cables just average?
    What is the standard for good tone. Muddy reproduction? We had that when bass amps were not very well developed. But then again many great bassists of the past had distinct and beautiful tone. James Jamerson, Noel Redding, Chris Squire, Jack Bruce, John Entwistle, Ron Wood (with Jeff Beck), Rocco Prestia, Donald Duck Dunn and Paul McCartney are excellent examples.

9. i liked it :)

Nice groove.. i like his tone also, maybe a little too "muffled" for me, though that could be the whole streaming thing. Didn't really like that chorus-y effect in his solo.

considering the level of improvisation these guys are taking the music to, that seems to be an extremely ignorant comment.

10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    First, I love the playing! No gibberish here. That tune "James" may be one of the greatest songs written in the twentieth century. I've played it a few times and I'm humbled every-time I look at the chart. As far as Christians tone, it's good but I'm not blown away by it. For frettless tone I believe the standard is Mark Egans tone on early Metheny, I actually prefer it over Jaco's tone. McBrides tone had the high end burp I a associate with a good frettless sound but the low end sounded really cut thru my system. His rig lacked any real warmth, and I know the soul with an Epi 410/115 can produce it. I have a feeling Christian or the person recording this dialed it out.

11. opium89

opium89

Jan 27, 2004
    Man, that hurts to even listen to. Modern jazz consitipates me =P

12. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.