Just picked up a 2006 Fender Geddy Lee- What do now?

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by ramrodTM, Feb 26, 2019.

1. ramrodTM

ramrodTM

Feb 23, 2019
    Austin, Texas
    Hey all,

I managed to score a used CIJ Geddy Lee for a great price and it is awesome! This is my first time owning a "serious" instrument so I'm wondering- what are some essential things every bassist should have? I have the following:

Hardshell Case
    Earplugs
    Clip-on tuner
    Picks
    Extra strap

I imagine I would need a microfiber cloth for a quick clean after rehearsals/gigs. What else would I need for care and cleaning? Any recommendations on places to get pickguards? What are your string recommendations for a Fender Jazz? Thanks everyone!

Monterey Bay-ss likes this.
  2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    If you pick hard, and extra set of strings, rotate them out when you change them; that is mount you spare set and keep you new set for the spare. A capo. CIJ basses probably need either Japanese cross tip screw drivers, or all new new screws. A truss rod wrench. Hex keys for the various screws/bolts. A pouch for the tools you can keep in the case. Some sort of cloth for wiping down the base after use. Instrument cable.

ramrodTM likes this.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Don't forget a pedalboard.

3b2ea481f796e3c19c6423c683ca406bd4fa5c6e.jpg

ramrodTM and ONYX like this.
  4. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Rip the head off some sweet Rush licks.

ramrodTM likes this.
  5. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Get an electronic tuner like a pedal

ramrodTM likes this.
  6. jaco944

jaco944 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2005
    My vote would be play the snot out of it.

ramrodTM likes this.
  7. ramrodTM

ramrodTM

Feb 23, 2019
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks for the recommendations! Might pick up a foot switch for the combo but I’m not so sure about all them fancy effects just yet ;)

Any recommendations on where to get all those instrument tools? Fingers crossed there’s a kit already made for me out there!

8. Practice every day.... Learn everything you can do with knobs on the bass and your amp...

When you are not practicing, read... Do searches on Geddy Lee Bass and see what others do, strings, etc...

Number one, practice so you know your particular instrument.
    Practice so you know what you like or don't like about strings on it.

Know your instrument. Learn to get different tones out of it by picking positions...

If you play with fingers a lot, look up 'bass ramp'. It is a piece of wood designed the mount between Jass pickups by the inside pickup screws on each to give the player a continuous finger rest. I have flat top on one Jazz and a wavy on my fretless. I prefer the wavy because with the two dips, I can feel where I am in relation to pickups without looking and can easily move to a different point easily, also without looking... I really like having a ramp on basses... One day I'll have ramps on all my basses... A couple, I'll probably have to design...probably out of lexan or something similar.

My fav is the wavy similar to this...

a2dimbu6wfkentw3lbx8.jpg

As far as pedals, wait until you know that bass inside and out, and your amp with that bass plugged into it, inside and out. Then read about different pedals....

Lastly: Ignore me and everybody else and decide what YOU like/dislike and do research to enhance what you like and/or resolve whatever it is you dislike...

What YOU like is what matters... Have fun most of all....

ramrodTM likes this.
  9. Get on you tube and learn how to do a proper bass set up, that will save a lot of time, money, and you will be able to tweak the bass to exactly how you want. John Caruthers from Elxir Strings has a great group of videos for that.

You really don't need much at first, just get used to the thing and play! After you get more time under your belt, you will start to figure out the extras and do dads that you will want.

Maybe some guitar cleaner/ polish (don't use furniture polish) and some soft cloths as well.

ramrodTM likes this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    As long as it's a nonwax furniture polish like Endust, it should be fine. Wax polishes leave a waxy buildup, and that's why many people say not to use them.

11. I've used carnauba for years... Like it... Easy to keep clean... hand kank will hardly stick to it...

I carnauba all of mine....and carnauba the hell out of the neck when I acquire a guitar...

12. I've read before that some furniture polishes have silicone or other additives thst will cause issues with instrument repair if used. I'm going off memory here, so my story is as reliable as some internet political posts, lol. I have no doubt you are correct, as your posts are normally right on the money. Regardless, I've stayed away from the typical furniture polishes for years because of that.

Honestly, poly covered basses are so bulllet proof with their finishes, I usually use rubbing alcohol to clean the the neck and body. (Not the fretboard unless it's a poly coated maple though)

JimmyM likes this.
  13. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Send Dodie an audition recording of you covering Steel Panther songs.

ramrodTM likes this.
  14. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Uh...play it!?

15. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Straplocks. Essential for an instrument in any price range.

ramrodTM likes this.
  16. tripp2k

tripp2k

Oct 31, 2010
    DFW-TX
    Attitude is strongly recommended.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022