Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just picked up a 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plain Old Me, May 14, 2005.

1. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Today I just picked up a Mesa 400+, and to say the least I'm impressed, much more so than I had been with previous experiences. It has JJ tubes in it, which are nice and warm and better sounding than the stock ones I've played before. Extremely warm, I can get overdrive at just about any volume. The EQ is a nice feature if I ever need it. The two inputs are very similar in sound, but you can tell the differences when cranked. I'm running this through an old EV 215, pics coming soon hopefully.

2. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    congrats man

how much did ya get it for?

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Wow, I used to have a rig just like that! :D I truly hope you enjoy it!

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Awesome! What Ashdown did you sell to get the Mesa?

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I had been using a new EVO-II for the duration of about 2 weeks because the Mesa had to go into a tech before I got it. It was a good amp, but this Mesa just is so much warmer...

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmm, interesting. I'l have to compare the Sunn 300T to the Evo II. The only thing I don't want to lose by going with tubes is a sharp and fast slap with nice pop to it (like Dirk Lance) and... my back ;)

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The Sunn can do both Hi-Fi and tube warmth. However, you may have to have 2 sets of seeings in order to have both good slap/pop tone and good everythingelse tone.

8. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I think you'll find after more use with the amp that the two inputs sound more different than you realize. Input two is higher gain, a little warmer and provides an excellent bottom end while input one has lower gain, features a more neutral sound, which still sounds amazing and is what I usually use, and is usually more suited to active basses or basses with lots of output.

Congrats on getting one of the sweetest amps ever made, I too have all JJ's in mine and it sounds worlds better than a stock tubed 400+. My problem is with the gain on Input one at 4 or 5 and the master at 2 it's about as loud as I can go. I tried 3 at a gig and got yelled at by the soundman.

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I like the second input more, even though I have an active bass. I think it sounds better when I hit the B string. And yah, this amp is wayyyy loud. Couldn't ask for more volume, and if i ever needed any I'd just get a new cab, since my 215 can't handle this thing at ear shattering volumes as is.

10. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    It's all personal preference, I kind of vascillate between the two but both have their own sweet tone so it's momentary thing, I'll probably never stick to one or the other? When life gives you options why stick to the same meat and potato?

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I never vacillate.

I use both.

At the same time.

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Yah I need to get a signal splitter sometime and try em both at the same time.

13. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    How exactly does that work and what benefits does it offer? Seems counterintuitive....

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Each of the pre ins on that amp have different preamp tube compliments. They don't necessarily cascade, but they'll both feed their signal to the power stage. This way you get a mix of the tonal characteristics of each of the inputs (almost twice as fat). When I bought my amp it came with a simple Y cable/splitter. You're actually using more tubes this way.

15. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    this amp is really interesting me, like to have a clean but waaarrm sound and an overdriven sound for distorstion on channel Two plus I can have the opportunity to have two separate loops on my pedalboard which can feed each inpute, like a clean slap synth input and a disortion wha sound

16. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^^If i'm not mistaken. You can't overdrive one channel, and have the other channel clean. One is slightly hotter, but not enough for o/d. That is why i'm checking out a Sunn 300T. 300w all tube, dual channels, compressor, 10 band graphic eq, footswitchable etc.

17. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    But each channel has a seprate volume knob. If you push one of the inputs hard (it is easier to do in Input 2), it will overdrive.

18. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    Okay!, i'm juste searhcing for a crunchier sound one one channel which will also be feeded by the muff

19. The Sunn can do both Hi-Fi and tube warmth. - Plain old Me

Uhh...Really? I tried for about half an hour. The cleanest I could get it was like, clean but with a certain woolyness.

20. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    It takes quite a while to find some good settings. There are too many things on it if you ask me, but once you fiddle around with it enough you can get some good tones.