1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just picked up a Duff signature model!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by coldengray, Oct 3, 2009.

1. coldengray

coldengray

Oct 3, 2009
    I'm a huge GNR fan and I just couldn't pass this up...I have no need for more guitars but I found a 1 year old Duff McKagan signature series Fender Jazz Special for $370 on Craigslist...dude threw in a hardshell case and a stand too. I went to meet him and it turns out to be Ron Schneider, the bassist from Slash's first band Tidus Sloan. He was also Steven Adler's drum tech during the Appetite tour. Ron told me the bass was a gift was Duff and Slash but he had too many and times were tough...I really enjoyed talking to him for a while and am excited to have this bass. It has a few MINOR body dings, most notably from the truss rod being adjusted at the base of the neck and the finishing getting crunched (apparently Duff's tech McBob set it up). I used to work for Geffen Records (GNR) and most recently RCA Records (VR) so we knew a lot of the same people. A cool addition to my collection with an even cooler story behind it.

Attached Files:

2. Very cool! I love the Jazz Bass Specials! I have 3. One passive( I have had it for 20 years), one power jazz special, and one fretless. I have decided that I have found my bass.

3. coldengray

coldengray

Oct 3, 2009
    Here is an old pic of Tidus Sloan along with a current pic of Ron I snapped...I think I did pretty good on the price too.

Attached Files:

4. Great basses(the originals- haven't played a newer one; how do they compare?). I had a pearl(off/semi-yellow)white one in 86 or so. I am no G&R fan, but it's cool for you to have a bass w/a story & connection to one of your favorite bands.
    Congrats!

5. thejrace

thejrace

Oct 3, 2008
    NYC
    Good work man. Plus you got to meet Ron. Very jealous here. I'd love to meet chris weber, from hollywood rose.

6. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    Cool story ! Im digging the bass for sure, esp. Black headstock. Sweet!

7. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    that's almost the exact amount I paid for one - my first real bass - on my birthday in 1991. I went to pick it up at this guy's place with my GF at the time. we go down to this area that was not the best part of town. it was in decent shape and the pickups had been swapped for an active EMG set up. he's telling me the bass used to be his old roomie's - but gave it up when he became a born again christian.

it was my main bass for about 5 years, and my back up for another 8. I've owned three others since.

8. coldengray

coldengray

Oct 3, 2009
    I wish I could say I've had the chance to A/B them, but every original 80's version I've seen lately has been going for a pretty penny, save for a red or fretless version (guess the word is out on 80's MIJ Fenders...love my E series Strat). I've wanted this color (for obvious reasons) and this was by far the best price I have seen for either the original or the current version. I opened it up last night, the electronics are standard - nothing special but not total junk either. The cavity was routed well and very clean, all the connections were solid. The neck is not quite as nice as my US Jazz and it's a tad thicker too...I thought I was imagining things but I measured and sure enough, it's wider. Fender claims in the official specs that it's 1.5 inches, in reality it's actually 1 5/8th...not sure what is going on there but I've read it elsewhere so I know I'm not the only one. The only thing I will change down the line is the OEM bridge - it's a serious POS and needs a Bad Ass.

9. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I hope to own one of the originals before they become 'vintage'... I played a natural necked fretless once. It was great, but $450? No, I would only pay that if it had the black neck. (having a black headstock made it look wierd)