Just picked up a MIJ B.C. Rich Warlock (N.J) Have truss rod issues

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Tigerclaw_x, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Tigerclaw_x

Tigerclaw_x

Apr 25, 2016
    Truss rod is turning VERY VERY stiffly. TO the point that I am afraid of breaking it. It is SUPER stiff no matter which direction I go and no matter is it strung or not. I already applied a WD40 and letting it sit now. If that doesn't work what is the next step?

2. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    I don't know the construction on that one (hopefully someone does) but odds of getting something (of which WD-40 is nearly the last choice) where it's needed are possibly quite low depending on construction. I think you also risk having WD-40 (or PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench or Kroil) soak into the wood and do interesting, not to say good, things to the neck.

If it breaks, taking the fretboard off to replace it seems to be normal, though some styles can be yanked out without doing that.

And the 25-cent question - does it NEED adjusting? Or are you just checking operation and not hapy with what you find?

Warhawk likes this.
  3. Tigerclaw_x

Tigerclaw_x

Apr 25, 2016
    It needed adjusting. I adjusted it (VERY CAREFULLY). I was thinking what happens if it needs adjusting again.

4. Well don't put any more WD-40 on it for one thing. And if you've adjusted it to where you need it to be what's the problem?

5. Tigerclaw_x

Tigerclaw_x

Apr 25, 2016
    In case I need to adjust it in the future. It is an old bass.

6. Well, if you need to adjust it again, do it "very carefully".

7. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    WD 40 only makes short term sense. While it has some lubricating properties, it is best thought of as penetrating into stuck places and dissolving rust. In the long run most of the hydrocarbons will evaporate and you are left with gunk. I'm not really sure if it would actually damage wood in any way. I know it is a good leather conditioner and probably has some mineral oil in it. It also has something like Naptha or paint thinner in it, so it would probably be more harmful to finish than the wood or the truss rod.

I had a truss rod I couldn't turn on an old bass. The end of it was bent and the threads couldn't grab the nut. Luckily, the truss rod was just $50 to replace. Most bass truss rods are more involved to replace, since you have to take off the fretboard.

In short, if you cannot take off the nut on the end of the truss rod, then I don't know how you would lubricate the mechanism. You have 3 options that I see.

1) Leave it alone, and maybe you will never need to do anything.
    2) Replace the truss rod.
    3) Loosen the stuck truss rod and see what happens. Sometimes they can take a bit of force to turn, especially if the neck is rigid. Either your truss rod is broken or not.

Most of the time your truss rod will needadjusted twice a year if you are paying careful attention. If you had to tighten it now, it would likely need loosened next time. Also, if it is old and stable, it will be like that later.

Warhawk likes this.
  8. WD-40 is good for getting stuck fasteners loose but not for lubrication. As James said it will evaporate leaving a bit of solids behind. That is why WD-40 is not recommended for use as a firearm lubricant. It makes stuff sticky.

9. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    If it's a single action truss rod, back the truss rod nut all the way off. Then, with a Q-Tip, put some Vaseline in the nut, and and put it back on the truss rod. That should make it easier to turn assuming you have threads left.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021