1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just picked up a new cab - Ampeg G 60

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greengoblin, Apr 18, 2009.

1. So I have been cab hunting for the past month or so and really wnated to find a nice 4x10... Looked at most major brands and even considered some 2x12's... Came across an ad for an Ampeg cab and the price was good.. Checked it out and brought it home today!

An Ampeg G-60! So far I love the tone this thing has and it is in awesome shape for a Vintage Ampeg... The tolex is peeling a little on the sides, but nothing a little contact cement wont take care. There are a few small gouges on the rear from transporting, but considering that they are from the 70's(i believe), it is in awesome shape!!!

Pics for all:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

attachment.

**EDIT** The black towards the bottom of the grill looks to be overspray.. The cloth is in awesome shape with only a few marks...

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nice score. It's a guitar cab so I wouldn't go putting a tremendous amount of wattage into it, but Ampeg sealed guitar cabs usually sound pretty good for bass, albeit at a somewhat reduced volume.

3. I found an article saying that last night which disappoints me.... The guy said he bought it in the mid to late 70's along with an Ampeg tube head and a bass from a store. But he didn't have the tube head any longer..

Right now I am running it off of my Fender combo head and it sounds nice... And for the age f the cab, it is in awesome shape...

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, I'd really keep the volume in check with a guitar cab, especially if and when you buy a bass head to push it.

5. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    I have that exact same cab and have sold off a few things to fund a replacement for it.
    It's ok, but I've always been dissapointed in it's lack of bass response, which i guess is ok since it's a guitar cab.

All in all, I'd keep it low and you'll be ok. At higher volumes you'll fart out the speakers and it'll sound like poop.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, sorry to be the news-bearer. But if you ever get ambitious with it, I think it's entirely possible that you could load it with a couple 12"s made for bass and make it a highly usable 212 bass cab. I would have no idea what speakers to tell you to get, but once you figure out the cubic volume of your cab, you could check out what Eminence might recommend for it.

7. Yeah, had I known it was a guitar cab, I would've passed on it.. But my mistake for not asking for a model number first and not researching. I saw Ampeg and always think bass... DOH!....

Right now I am only putting maybe 150w through it at low volume(live in a condo)... So no way I will hurt it and it still sounds nice. May see if I can find a local guitarist that may need one....

8. No problem... Its my fault for not researching. Any idea on what these are worth to Guitar players? May try and sell it to and put the funds towards a 410HLF...